Author Topic: Managed to find my great-uncle's death reference info but need a wee help...  (Read 1921 times)

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Dear Rootschatters

I would be most grateful to you if any of you know how to identify a correct district register office so I could enquire about the death entry.

I found this reference information and it stated that the district register office is Surrey N.  ???

I hope I have a right man--he was supposed to die in Houslow, London.  But he could have moved??

I have very little information on him and his family. I only hope the district register office would be able to help me in confirming whether it is my great uncle or not.

I would appreciate any assistance from you.

Kind regards

Tees

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Managed to find my great-uncle's death reference info but need a wee help...
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 August 06 17:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Tees

I think it will depend upon which part of Surrey N he died in as the district is now split between three
Created : 1.4.1934 (formerly parts of Richmond and Kingston districts).
Abolished : 1.4.1965 (succeeded by Kingston upon Thames, Richmond upon Thames and Surrey Mid Eastern districts).

http://www.fhsc.org.uk/genuki/REG/districts/surrey%20northern.html

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Managed to find my great-uncle's death reference info but need a wee help...
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 August 06 18:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Casalguidi!!

Thanks for taking time to answer my query!

Now I am "confused" by extra information. :)

Anyway, I think the best thing is to make three similar enquires to all the offices to see if any of them would reply or confirm.

Meanwhile, it looks like Surrey is in London, yes?

Kind regards

Tees

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 August 06 18:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Casalguidi,

Interestingly my death registration took a place in March Quarter 1966. Then, why did the old name continues to be used??

Kind regards

Tees

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 August 06 18:22 BST (UK) »

Next to London, yes.  Some of Surrey became London in 1889 but some of it remained as Surrey.

Interestingly my death registration took a place in March Quarter 1966. Then, why did the old name continues to be used??

I don't know, perhaps the information on the above link isn't absolutely correct ???

Casalguidi

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 August 06 18:35 BST (UK) »

Next to London, yes.  Some of Surrey became London in 1889 but some of it remained as Surrey.

I don't know, perhaps the information on the above link isn't absolutely correct ???

Casalguidi

Hi Casalguidi

Thanks for your efforts in helping me out.

I think I would go ahead and order this death certificate and pray it is mine.  ;D

My uncle and aunt have two different knowledge regarding my great uncle's death. Uncle said he died between 1964 and 1965 and Aunt said he died between 1974 and 1976 at the age of 74.

Not much help are they??

I am inclined to think my uncle is correct because I could find him under his "right" name.

Kind regards

Tees

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 August 06 18:45 BST (UK) »
My uncle and aunt have two different knowledge regarding my great uncle's death. Uncle said he died between 1964 and 1965 and Aunt said he died between 1974 and 1976 at the age of 74.

Oh dear, perhaps you'd better double check again then especially if they said he died in Hounslow (that being Middlesex and north of the River Thames whilst Surrey is South of the Thames) :-\

Casalguidi

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 11 August 06 18:53 BST (UK) »

Oh dear, perhaps you'd better double check again then especially if they said he died in Hounslow (that being Middlesex and north of the River Thames whilst Surrey is South of the Thames) :-\

Casalguidi

Oh dear is a good way of saying about this whole matter.  ;D

Unfortunately, I have double-checked with the Hounslow Register Office--they said they have no record on him. They believed that he may had died in the hospital or elsewhere.

I have went back and checked from 1969 to 1978 on him. No records on him at all.

With the latest information from my uncle in Australia I just got it this morning, I was able to find him in 1966. Not bad...since he is only the one with that name.

I will check on 1963 just to make sure.

What do you think of what I have done so far?? I am fairly certain this registration I found is him. If his initial was what I thought to be, then it had to be him. Strangely, everyone called him by his middle name. But he was registered under his "full name." If the registration page showed him only with the initial, would that mean I will get the entry with same name?? Or will it show his full name??

On second thought, I shall better contact the district register office first to ascertain if it is him or not.

Kind regards

Tees

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 11 August 06 19:03 BST (UK) »
The actual certificates do usually give the full name even if second and subsequent forenames are listed as initials in the index.

Yes, I suppose you could try the local registrars.  They will soon tell you if it's too time consuming to look for or if they can't find it but at least they should refund your money.

Good luck

Casalguidi