Author Topic: Missing Baptisms  (Read 2414 times)

Offline TinaS

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Missing Baptisms
« on: Saturday 12 August 06 20:50 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am trying to find a baptism in Reed c1786, but when I looked at the parish records in Hertford GRO I found there seemed to be a big gap just where I needed to look.

Baptisms - 1539-1766, 1813-1966

Am I right in thinking that these records are from the Bishops Transcripts and therefore there might just be an original record from the Church kept somewhere else and if so any idea where?

Help would be much appreciated.

Tina

Rust , Patmore, Bearman, Perkins, Scott, Swift, Ball, Wysall and many more.

Offline Rick

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Emails are not working at the moment sorry
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Baptisms
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 August 06 18:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Tina

According to the HALS Parish Records holdings list, there does seem to be missing baptisms at Reed, and as you say the Reed baptismal registers stop at 1766 and begin again at 1813.  It would probably be well worth checking the Bishops Transcripts for the missing years.

Bishops Transcripts were ordered to be kept from 1598 when the clergy were required, within a month of Easter, to send transcripts of the registers for the previous year to the bishop of their diocese. After 1837, when civil registration started, many clergy ceased to send copies, although some did continue for quite some time.

Bishops' Transcripts (BTs) are useful in that they provide a second record and may have survived when the parish register has not. Details of baptisms, marriages and burials were also sometimes recorded on loose sheets prior to copying into the registers, and it is possible that some BTs may include entries not listed in the parish registers.

All surviving BTs will be at HALS.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,24217.0.html

Rick :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TinaS

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Baptisms
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 August 06 18:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Rick

Thanks for the information, I will certainly take a look at the Bishops Transcripts and hopefully will come up with what I am looking for.

Regards

Tina.

Rust , Patmore, Bearman, Perkins, Scott, Swift, Ball, Wysall and many more.