Author Topic: How do root chattters save money  (Read 8436 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: How do root chattters save money
« Reply #27 on: Friday 08 September 06 21:07 BST (UK) »
I'm just incorrigible  ::) ::) ::)

I've just spent £17.50 on 5 wills that might give me info on my newly found long line. They look as if they're going to be real fun deciphering.

Oh dear  :o :o :o

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 08 September 06 21:50 BST (UK) »
There we are trying to save money and letting everyone know how we do it and you come along spending it like crazy Gadget  :-\

Now we'll all be encouraged to spend more rather than saving lol

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Online sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 08 September 06 22:13 BST (UK) »
I have "saved" money by getting together with those who are researching the same name as me  ;D On our last RootsChat meet there were 3 fellow "mott" researchers who I have been in contact with, what a great day and with lots of chat.

If you have an unusual name perhaps you could form a group

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 08 September 06 22:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah

Looking forward to meeting you at Hastings!

I have an unusual name in my family - Kesterton and I would love to meet someone else with that name in the family.  I think I have spoken to one other person distantly related but niether of us can find much information about the family at all.

I live in hope.  It's great when you meet/have contact with these distant relatives and can share information.  I recently had two hits on one line in the same week and the three of shared so much information I went from having a girl with the surname to suddenly gaining about 200 names  :o :o :o

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 09 September 06 21:04 BST (UK) »
There we are trying to save money and letting everyone know how we do it and you come along spending it like crazy Gadget  :-\

Now we'll all be encouraged to spend more rather than saving lol

Carol

Well, Carol, l I think that was probably the best £17.50 I've spent  :)

However, my best money saver relating to the same line is joining Rootschat - a moral tale indeed  :)

I was sorting out my trees to put on my Rootschat website at the weekend and came across a 6 x great grandmother (married 1692)  that I seemed to have abandoned about two years ago. I did a search on RC and found a recent posting on this (unusual) surname in my area. I posted and lovely Jayson put me on to a website and an e-mail link that has now given me so many generations I can't count  :)

I have recently heard that I am indeed connected to a particular family and through them back to 1155 and possibly before, the Doomsday Book, first warden of Caernarfon Castle, Owain Glyndwyr, the Civil Wars....

..a thousand years of North Wales/Marches history in one search, a posting, an answer and an e-mail :o :o :o  So much to read and write about  :)

Thank you Rootschat - Sarah and Trystan, you've saved me so much and have given me so much  :)

Gadget  - doing cartwheels  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 09 September 06 21:08 BST (UK) »
I just go for it. As I have mentioned elsewhere, I ordered what I thought was the death certificate of my gg uncle, turned out to be the death cert. of his namesake, my-would-have-been-great-uncle, only 17 days old. Sad. I had no idea that child had existed before. Poor gran.

You have to take the risk.

meles

Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 09 September 06 21:09 BST (UK) »
And how many places are there out there where you can free Website design lessons Gadget as well as all that family history??

Great here isn't it?? ;D ;D ;D

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 09 September 06 21:15 BST (UK) »
and don't forget SIT - that is also very useful. It's the best FH site going and we don't have all that daftness that seems to be occuring elsewhere  :)

Love it!

Gadget

PS ..... and we seem to pass the CD parcel around  ;)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 09 September 06 21:19 BST (UK) »
I wonder how much money I have saved myself not having to drive to local record offices by asking the questions on RC and getting answers!!!  Hmmm

Kerry  ;D ;D ;D ;D