Author Topic: I Love Scottish BMD Certificates  (Read 3904 times)

Offline Simma

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
I Love Scottish BMD Certificates
« on: Sunday 13 August 06 10:54 BST (UK) »
I just thought I'd declare my love for the detail included on Scottish BMD certificates.

Not only does my great great great great grandmother's death certificate from 1855 include a chronological list of all her children, the date of her marriage, the names of both her parents AND her place of burial, I found another gem this morning.

While searching for a birth I came across the birth ceritifcate of a John Green Connell from 1892, which notes in the parents column that the mother and father are not married. Not only this it details clearly that the mother was already married to a fish dealer called Henry Roberts, who she declares is not the father of the child and that she has had no communication with her husband since 1885.

I have seen other certificates with similar extended commentary - such a pity we don't tend to get this in England.
Swaine - Barnsley/Leeds, Burton - Brotherton/Castleford/Barnsley, Bingham - Barnsley, Ball - Barnsley, Bassett - Market Harborough/Barnsley, Green - Rawcliffe/Whitwood/Castleford, Collins - Bedminster/Barnsley, Smith - Bedminster, Appleyard - Castleford, Woodward - Barnsley, Dover - Barnsley, Frain - Scotland, Robertson - Scotland, Macaulay - Scotland, Milne - Scotland. Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: I Love Scottish BMD Certificates
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 August 06 11:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Simma

I share your love for Scottish registrations. The information on them is wonderful for we family historians. You were lucky to get an 1855 certificate - there was more information given then, when official registration began, than in later years.

Pam has given the full content details on a thread on the Scotland (General) Board:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,24468.0.html

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline GordonD

• RootsChat Senior
  • G grandparents Francis Laughlan and Agnes Tripney
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 August 06 13:51 BST (UK) »
Definitely agree with your love for Scottish registrations Simma and Gadget. Whenever I get annoyed that can't find OPR entries between 1837 and 1855 I just think would I rather have the extra years or the extra detail. Think I prefer the extra detail.

Also just looked at an 1855 certificate for the younger sibling of a ggg grandfather and now know the county in Ireland where his parents were from!

Gordon
Lanarkshire-Gray, Laughlan, Black, Hamilton, Kerr, Lindsay, Faulds, Brownlie, Wright, Richardson, Pitcairn, Campbell, Craig, Pettigrew, Mirrlees, McLardy<br />Stirlingshire- Tripney, Cowan, Gibb, Tulloch, Thomson<br />Dumfriesshire- Hope, Johnstone, Jardine, Donaldson, Wright, Irving, Sommers<br />Cumberland- Douglas, Harrison<br />Northumberland- Turnbull, Paxon<br />Ayrshire- Howie, Muir<br />Renfrewshire, West Lothian, Ireland<br />http://gtd005.rootschat.net

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 August 06 13:58 BST (UK) »
Has to be a benefit to living on the other side of the world. Most of the Australian certificates are like the Scottish 1855 for every year of civil registration. Birth and death indexes include parent names and marriage indexes always have both parties. Death certificates include length of time in the "colonies" which is very helpful for finding immigration details.

Disadvantages - privacy laws severely restrict access to more recent information.

I bought an English death certificate - thinking I would get the parent names - not such a smart move   :(  :(

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 August 06 19:25 BST (UK) »
The English certificates must be the worst in the World. If i had known what i know now, when i was younger.I would have insisted we moved to Scotland so my Children would be born there ;D I love Scotland anyway  ;D

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 August 06 19:34 BST (UK) »
Well, I was born in Wales, married in England and will probably die in Scotland.

Is this a record  :)

Gadget

PS and my will will be re-sealed in England!
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 August 06 21:08 BST (UK) »
Your descendent's are going to love you ;D don't forget to Leave a note as to the reasons you were not on the Wales or England Census for ???? With your will  ;D ;D ;D

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline oursutherlands

• RootsChat Extra
  • My profile still has a large nose!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 August 06 21:40 BST (UK) »
Hi all

I love Scottish BMDS too ... then again I AM Scottish, and thankfully all my ancestors are too, except my paternal grandmothers line which is "doon" there!

However, while tracing a line that had emmigrated to Canada, I sent off for a death cert and theirs have a column in it for place of burial ... wouldn't we all love to have that on our certs too. I haven't got my head around how they do it ... compile the certificate and then wait a few days to complete it with the final piece of information.

Neil
Researching Sutherland (Walls and Flotta, Orkney), Mace (Berwick Upon Tweed) Taylor (Rothbury)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 13 August 06 21:43 BST (UK) »
Think my census entries read:

1951 - Wales
1961 - Wales
1966 - England  (for there was one!)
1971 - England
1981 - England
1991 - England
2001 - England
2011 - ? Scotland

Well that means that I'm at least 55  :o

Gadget - who will get a Scottish certificate for herself by hook or by crook  ;)

Neil - I also have found lovely Canadian burial records  :)