Author Topic: Where to start?  (Read 2801 times)

Offline sharonf73

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandad : 1917-2008 xxx
    • View Profile
Where to start?
« on: Sunday 13 August 06 21:08 BST (UK) »
Hi

I've just found out a great uncle may have moved to America. 
I always wondered how I could never find his marriage (or death cert) and this may explain why.

As I have never researched outside Scotland and have done a little in England I don't know where to start for America.  Bearing in mind he could still be alive can anyone make a suggestion which could get me going?  I know this may be an impossible task especially as I just get told "he moved to America" (I think there was a fall-out).

Sharon
ErrorSPAM
REPORT THIS POST AS SPAM (Use 'Report to Moderator'). DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IN THIS POST. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS PERSON.
][/color]
ErrorSPAM
REPORT THIS POST AS SPAM (Use 'Report to Moderator'). DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IN THIS POST. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS PERSON.
][/color]
ANDERSON - Galashiels, Coldstream
EASTON - Edinburgh<br />FOWLER - Yorkshire, Traquair, Pathhead, Penicuik, Edinburgh, Fife, Canada<br />HENDRY - Coldstream, Edinburgh<br />MORRISON - Edinburgh<br />SWANSON - Edinburgh, Lasswade
THOMSON - Currie, Leith

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
Re: Where to start?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 August 06 03:32 BST (UK) »
Sharon:

Have you checked these sites?

In case he is still alive:

Yahoo People Search:
http://people.yahoo.com/

In case he is deceased:

Social Security Death Index:
http://ssdi.rootsweb.com/

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 August 06 03:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon

You could also try Ellis Island passenger database 1892 - 1924:
http://www.ellisisland.org/

Cheers
AMBLY

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline yn9man

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 August 06 18:28 BST (UK) »

Sharon :)

Do you know the approximate date of when he may have moved to America? Do you know whereabouts in America?

The National Archives is a great place to start... www.nara.gov will provide you with additional information.

Best wishes in your researching.   :D :D

yn9man
Scotland - Adam, Galt/Gault, Mellis, Jardine, Turnbull, Robertson, Auchincloss, Murray, Allison/Allason, Mitchell, Cross, Rae, Brown, McHutcheon, Montgomerie, McKenzie, Mackay, McPherson, McInish

England - Saunders/Sanders, Jory/Jorie/Jura, McKey, Williams/ Wyllams,  Lance, Ellis, Trounson, Dingle, Charlton, Hambridge, Sweetman/Sweatman, Ricks/Rix/Reeks, Cole, Shearwood/Sherwood, Toy, Brooks, Moore, Donn, Nicolas, Habberfield,

Denmark - Alling/Aalling, Lastein, Lund, Rasmussen

Offline sharonf73

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 August 06 22:03 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for the replies. 

Josephine, thank you for the SSDI link.  Using this I managed to find his death.

Ambly has already had loads of thank yous from me with the great help she's given and managed to track my great uncle back to England.

Sadly he died only six years ago.  Sorry yn9man, I've still not found out when he left Scotland for America (or when he returned to England) but at least I'm a wee bit further on!

Sharon

EASTON - Edinburgh<br />FOWLER - Yorkshire, Traquair, Pathhead, Penicuik, Edinburgh, Fife, Canada<br />HENDRY - Coldstream, Edinburgh<br />MORRISON - Edinburgh<br />SWANSON - Edinburgh, Lasswade
THOMSON - Currie, Leith

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 August 06 23:38 BST (UK) »
You're welcome, Sharon.  I'm sorry to hear that he has passed away.

The SSDI listing should give you the information you need to order a copy of his death record, which should give you more information, including where he was living, where he was buried and his next of kin. 

From there, you can write to the cemetery, request a look-up of his obit, check online telephone directories for other family members, etc.

Regards,
Josephine
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline yn9man

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 August 06 01:26 BST (UK) »
You're welcome. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Josephine is right on about the SSDI listing and the information you will obtain.

Wish you continued luck in your research.

yn9man
Scotland - Adam, Galt/Gault, Mellis, Jardine, Turnbull, Robertson, Auchincloss, Murray, Allison/Allason, Mitchell, Cross, Rae, Brown, McHutcheon, Montgomerie, McKenzie, Mackay, McPherson, McInish

England - Saunders/Sanders, Jory/Jorie/Jura, McKey, Williams/ Wyllams,  Lance, Ellis, Trounson, Dingle, Charlton, Hambridge, Sweetman/Sweatman, Ricks/Rix/Reeks, Cole, Shearwood/Sherwood, Toy, Brooks, Moore, Donn, Nicolas, Habberfield,

Denmark - Alling/Aalling, Lastein, Lund, Rasmussen

Offline sharonf73

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 August 06 09:02 BST (UK) »
Hello again

My mum has managed to get a bit more information from her parents - don't know why they can't tell you everything when you first ask!

Seemingly he joined the RAF (not as a pilot) before WW2.  He left (still don't know the date) working on a cruise ship.

I have his daughter's name but not his wife so the search carries on!  I have ordered his death certificate so hopefully that will help.

Seemingly the fall out between the two brothers were that he was wanting my grandad to work in a shop with him. Then one day he didn't acknowledge my grandad and ever since they hadn't spoken.  Doesn't surprise me, my grandad has done the same to my dad!  Families!! ::)

I really appreciate the help you have all given.
Sharon
THOMSON - Currie, Leith

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 August 06 14:09 BST (UK) »
Sharon,

We've had similar situations in our family. 

Good luck!
Josephine