Author Topic: Hetherington family on 1861 census  (Read 1049 times)

Offline julie g

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Hetherington family on 1861 census
« on: Monday 14 August 06 08:23 BST (UK) »
Is there anyone out there that can help me with a huge brick wall i have come up against with my Hetherington family? I am looking for William born about 1836, his wife Ann (or Mary depending on which census you look at) born between 1826-1832 (again depending on which census you look at ) and a daughter Margaret Ann born between 1850 and 1853. William was born in Musbury, Haslingden and was a plate layer on the railways, Ann/Mary was born in Morland, Westmorland and Margaret was born in Morland or Shap.
  I have managed to find them on the 1871 and 1881 censuses but not on the 1861. They moved to Barrow in Furness at some stage as they are there in 1871 but i don't know when.
 Any help with this one would be really appreicated as this family are really interesting and i am desperate to trace them back further.
Many thanks
Julie
Tyrrell in Hastings and Brighton, Sussex and Oxfordshire.
Woodburne in Kirkby Ireleth and Ulverston, Lancs.
Annetts in Hampshire
Harris in Coventry, Warwickshire and Barrow in Furness, Lancs
Lewis in West Bromwich, Staffordshire and Barrow in Furness Lancs.
Askew in Colton, Lancs
 Maxted in Kent

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hetherington family on 1861 census
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 August 06 16:26 BST (UK) »
Do you have the reference for the 1871 census?  I can see the family in 1881 (although the daughter is Mary, not Margaret), but not in 1871.   Sorry if I'm being a bit thick!

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline julie g

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Hetherington family on 1861 census
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 August 06 16:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Rambler,
  There has been some confusion here as this family are listed under three separate names on the 1871, 1881 and 1891 censuses. The reference for the 1871 is :
RG10/4244 Folio 177 and they are listed as Fitteringh not Hetherington.
Julie
Tyrrell in Hastings and Brighton, Sussex and Oxfordshire.
Woodburne in Kirkby Ireleth and Ulverston, Lancs.
Annetts in Hampshire
Harris in Coventry, Warwickshire and Barrow in Furness, Lancs
Lewis in West Bromwich, Staffordshire and Barrow in Furness Lancs.
Askew in Colton, Lancs
 Maxted in Kent