Author Topic: o'sullivan family history  (Read 5586 times)

Offline shirley summers

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
o'sullivan family history
« on: Tuesday 02 November 04 02:28 GMT (UK) »
  I am writing regarding the O'Sullivan family. I am seeking information on my grandfather, Thomas Joseph O'Sullivan. We have a marriage certificate showing Thomas married Annie Bastable in Sydney in 1898, and that he was born in Cork, Ireland. Thomas was 35 at the time of his marriage, which means he could have been bon in 1863?His parents were Jeremiah O'Sullivan and Ellen Bastable. Thomas's occupation in Sydney at the time of his marriage was a miner. Jeremiah's occupation was a waterman. Thomas died in 1935. His death certificate shows he was born in County Cork, Ireland and had spent 45 years in Australia.
                We also have a death certificate for William O'Sullivan (alias Bastable) who died in Cobar, New South Wales on 13th September, 1894 as a result of a mining accident.William was 39 at the time of his death which means he could have been born around 1855. William's parents are also listed as Jeremiah O'Sullivan and Ellen Bastable. Jeremiah's occupation was listed as a boatbuilder.We are assuming that William and Thomas were brothers.The death certificate statesthat William was born in Cork, Ireland.
I would be grateful for any assistance you could give me in tracing any relatives of Thomas, William, Jeremiah and Ellen.
Thank you for your time and assistance
Shirley Summers
1/75 Penshurst Street
Penshurst.
N.S.W.
Australia

Offline kated

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Woman on the ground
    • View Profile
Re: o'sullivan family history
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 November 04 08:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Unfortunately all were born just before general registration started in 1864 so unless you can find  a later birth of a sibling in ireland, you have to go to the Griffiths valuation taken in Cork between 1851 and 1853. Try this site

http://members.cox.net/hayes1966/griffiths.htm

Kate
Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Prior,Blyth,Ellis:Halstead, Ramsey Essex
Blyth,Faeres,Smith:Suffolk
Ballard, Driscoll, Costen,Miller:Kent
Driscoll, Ragan: Cork
Miller: Hardwick
Hardy: Burton, Derby, Ruddington

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
Re: o'sullivan family history
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 November 04 09:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Unfortunately all were born just before general registration started in 1864 so unless you can find  a later birth of a sibling in ireland, you have to go to the Griffiths valuation taken in Cork between 1851 and 1853. Try this site

http://members.cox.net/hayes1966/griffiths.htm

Kate

Thanks Kate.  A useful link that.  I found a few Tymons there.  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk