Author Topic: MAIDEN Alfred Horace 1885/6 - 1916  (Read 2088 times)

Offline Brian_P6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
MAIDEN Alfred Horace 1885/6 - 1916
« on: Friday 18 August 06 12:49 BST (UK) »
I am researching a tenuous link between Alfred Horace Maiden and the Humphreys family of Madeley.
On the 1891 Census, Alfred is living in Aqueduct Road and in 1901 living in Fosters Road.

My family (the Humphreys') lived in Aqueduct Road from about 1899 onward.
Mary Elizabeth Humphreys (born c1889) had a child out of wedlock in about 1909. As was often the case in those days, the father was left off the birth certificate. However, the child was given a very unusual name - Alfred Maiden Humphreys.

Is anyone on the forum familiar with this family and know of any gossip or knowledge that could link Alfred Maiden to Mary Elizabeth Humphreys.

Many thanks,
Brian.
Humphreys and related family (Ellis, Ward, Edwards etc) mostly around the Oswestry area with some concentrations around Telford, Sheffield, and when I can find the connection - Aldershot.

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
Re: MAIDEN Alfred Horace 1885/6 - 1916
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 September 06 13:02 BST (UK) »
Do you know whether the child - Alfred Maiden Humphreys - married in later life.  It might be worth trying to obtain a marriage certificate and see whether there's a  father's name.  Just a thought :-\
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline Brian_P6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 September 06 13:56 BST (UK) »
No, there is no fathers name - he has a family, but none of them know of his history.
Humphreys and related family (Ellis, Ward, Edwards etc) mostly around the Oswestry area with some concentrations around Telford, Sheffield, and when I can find the connection - Aldershot.

Offline Sandradale

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 July 22 15:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Brian,
I can't believe i'm reading this. Alfred was my grandad. He was married to Janet. He had 3 children. My mum being one of them. He died at the age of 51, really young. Let me know if you need to know more, i will tell you what i know. So who are you related to?
Sandra

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 July 22 07:13 BST (UK) »
ALFRED HORACE MAIDEN
Service Number: 14710
Regiment & Unit/Ship
King's Shropshire Light Infantry

6th Bn.

Date of Death
Died 20 September 1916

Buried or commemorated at
THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

Pier and Face 12 A and 12 D.

France

Commonwealth War Graves Commission
Country of Service
United Kingdom
Awards
Military Medal

a brave man
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Sandradale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 July 22 07:22 BST (UK) »
Just to clarify. When i said Alfred was my grandad i was referring to Alfred Maiden Humphreys. Not Alfred Horace Maiden.