Author Topic: Tutorial: how to Make a Montage  (Read 28794 times)

Offline roadrunner465

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Tut how to Make a Montage
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 16 August 06 15:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for the info. I know about memory overload. I need to digest the info so I can understand.
If you can tell me where I might find examples of a montage I can work out my own info from there.
Unless I try I will not know whether I am able to succeed or not, hence I always try.
Again thanks for time and effort
Jones( Hereford) Wales Williams( Wales) Broughtons<br />Elsworthy, Lindsey, Polles,clayton,
Wood, Jolley, Bridges,

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tutorial: how to Make a Montage
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 16 August 06 15:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Joy

There as masses of examples out there. Perhaps the best thing might be fro you to do a Google image search on photomontage. I came up with thousands when I did it.

Some are surrealist - in fact that's how they started with Heartfield and Grosz, German Dadaists, and Man Ray, etc - some are more, what one might say, ordinary.

It's up to you

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline roadrunner465

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 16 August 06 17:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks
I had not thought I putting photmontage. I can do this search
Again thanks for your time
Jones( Hereford) Wales Williams( Wales) Broughtons<br />Elsworthy, Lindsey, Polles,clayton,
Wood, Jolley, Bridges,

Offline JackieG

• RootsChat Member
  • Lilian May Jenden
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 16 August 06 23:14 BST (UK) »
I'm following instructions as well Denn. I am very impressed with your work on Swally's montage
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,175542.0.html
I really like the example you did with the pictures superimposed on the church. Will have a try at this .
Perhaps this Tutorial could be pinned to the top so we don't lose it??
Keep up the good work. I have learned so much here.
Thanks
Jackie
O'Doherty in Ireland (Derry) and USA (possibly Illinois)
McLaughlin; Mulhern in Ireland mostly Derry
Jenden in Surrey, England
Grant in Devon, England
Carisch in England and Switzerland
Page in Canada

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 17 August 06 11:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Joy

I've been searching around for an example of an 'arty' montage with a Family History theme for you. This is one I did earlier this year for my pal Keith Bateman, based on images from his website.

It started as a joke and only took a short time. However, it does show you some of the features that I mentioned in the earlier posting - soft and hard edge, re-sizing, different levels of transparency, spacing, inclusion of text.

Much of my own art is concerned with history themes and I now use different levels of transparency to convey this sense of time. In the old days, I used to have to print up each photograph on Kentmere Art paper and use bleaches, paint washes, wax, glues, tissue paper and abrasion to get the effects - now we have Photoshop  :)

I printed this image on Epson A3+ Watercolour paper and Keith has it in his hall!

Gadget

PS It took me lots of visits to his website to choose the images that I wanted to use, so his high  'hit rate'  reflects this  ;D ;D ;D

http://batemans-history.rootschat.net/

also mine

http://some-ancestors.rootschat.net/

:D :D :D
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline d.weaving

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 17 August 06 11:24 BST (UK) »
Nice composition Gadget,quite effective :)
Derek

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 17 August 06 11:41 BST (UK) »
Nice job Gadget, especially knowing how much work goes into something like that.

Denn
Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

South Yorkshire/Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire

Torremocha, Candog, Ramos, Reyes, Rodrigueus
-------Philippines --- Bohol

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 17 August 06 11:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks Denn

Keith seemed to like it - he sent me a photo of him standing next to it in his hall  :)

Gadget  :)

Offline roadrunner465

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 17 August 06 15:31 BST (UK) »
Gadget
Great info that you sent me. I assume I make the montage the same way as anything else such as layers ect' This is the part where I am unclear. I make an outline, choose the pics that I want, and then ???
   Open the first of your images and create two new layers and fill one with black and one with white. Now drag your image to the top of these layers and try hiding first the black then the white so that you can see which one shows all the dags left on your cutout.
I read this info from Den, but haven't a clue how to do this.
I loved your work, and want to retain the historical part of my photos. I am a history buff, love old pics of London and such
I am on the road so must go
Thanks again
Wood, Jolley, Bridges,