Author Topic: WW2 Awards  (Read 2373 times)

Offline Knellie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
WW2 Awards
« on: Tuesday 22 August 06 18:51 BST (UK) »
Could anyone advise where I might be able to find details concerning individuals awarded the George Medal and/or the Military Medal.

Any advice appreciated.

Knellie

Offline John Whysall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: WW2 Awards
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 August 06 11:46 BST (UK) »
I know of one excellent reference site for the George Medal: http://www.gc-database.co.uk/index.htm

As for the Military Medal, I can only think of going via the National Archives site (though I fear that may only list the First World War recipients): http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/medals.asp
In Derbyshire: Whysall and their distaffs. In Norfolk and Cambs, Piggott/Pigot and their distaffs. In Ulster and SW Scotland, Hendry, Maud and their links.
Census information may be Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 August 06 12:04 BST (UK) »
You could try the London Gazette Archive http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/index.asp?webType=0

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline harribobs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 August 06 12:53 BST (UK) »
As for the Military Medal, I can only think of going via the National Archives site (though I fear that may only list the First World War recipients): http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/medals.asp

you won't find any details of the MM on the NA site, i'd agree with a london gazette search

it's a difficult site to interrogate, use every different search parameter you know in every different way

Offline John Whysall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 August 06 13:44 BST (UK) »
I fully accept that the National Archives site involves quite a bit of sweat. I question that it is not possible to use it to suss decorations thereby.

Out of sheer cussedness, I've just done a search for Captain Albert Ball (OK, the most obvious, I know). Entering the data (I'm not the world's fastest keyboardist by a long shot) and getting a response took me 15.2 seconds. Getting to see the actual medal-card would have cost me a further £3.50: so that's as far as I took the experiment.

As for the London Gazette archive: nice one! (Yeah, I forgot that one.) It works, albeit a bit slowly. Tasty .pdfs, and it's a primary source. Beautiful. I find the search engine has exactly the opposite characteristics to the National Archives. Because it demands so little input, it tends to bracket the target with extraneous references.
In Derbyshire: Whysall and their distaffs. In Norfolk and Cambs, Piggott/Pigot and their distaffs. In Ulster and SW Scotland, Hendry, Maud and their links.

Offline harribobs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 August 06 14:05 BST (UK) »
I fully accept that the National Archives site involves quite a bit of sweat. I question that it is not possible to use it to suss decorations thereby.

Out of sheer cussedness, I've just done a search for Captain Albert Ball (OK, the most obvious, I know). Entering the data (I'm not the world's fastest keyboardist by a long shot) and getting a response took me 15.2 seconds. Getting to see the actual medal-card would have cost me a further £3.50: so that's as far as I took the experiment.

but the knellie was looking for details, and hence the capt ball's MIC is of little use to her as it contains very little information regarding the award of the MM and quite often not even a date ;)

Offline John Whysall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 24 August 06 14:27 BST (UK) »
No need to be nebby!

Since we do not know the name or date of the target, neither you nor I can do the dirty detail. Or did I miss something?

Over and out.

Offline harribobs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 24 August 06 14:37 BST (UK) »
nebby? ;D,

I've looked at enough MICs to know what is on them and as we're discussing WW2 details, why are you suggesting  an NA search?

Offline Knellie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 24 August 06 14:52 BST (UK) »
Many thanks everyone for your help and advice (to say nothing of the interesting dialogue between harribobs and John).  Success with the London Gazette (thanks casalguidi) - same name I'm looking for winning MM.

Even better result for GM - a book written by
Major(retr'd) D. V. Henderson (ISBN 0907605141)
Publised by Spinks & Son Ltd 1984
"Dragons can be defeated"
It lists all GM recipients and well worth a look!!!

Can't take the credit though - a wonderful Librarian on-line in Bromley forwarded the details I needed.  I also find I can consult a reference copy in my main library - or it is for sale on the internet for real enthusiasts.

Thanks again folks
Knellie
;D   ;)