Author Topic: Mossend Swifts Football Club  (Read 22974 times)

Offline jboydkennedy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mossend Swifts Football Club
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 24 January 19 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Last one-full photo of Scotland side. Cheers from America!

Offline Canisp

• RootsChat Member
  • Annie Ellis Turnbull (nee Walker) 1898-2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 27 January 19 09:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello jboydkennedy, fantastic photos. Do you happen to have a list of the names of all of the players in these photos?

Thanks,
Canisp.
Paterson (Edinburgh before1840), Smith (Cambusnethan before 1861), Johnstone (Peeblesshire before 1800), Brown (Carnwath before 1825)
Turnbull, Hume, Whitecross, Aitchison (all East Lothian)
Walker (Bathgate before 1850), Lawson (Edinburgh before 1868), Ellis (Biggar, Cambusnethan and West Calder), Jamieson (Biggar before 1800), Cree (Biggar before 1800)
McConnell (Kirkcudbrightshire before 1854)

Offline jboydkennedy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 27 January 19 22:07 GMT (UK) »
I've rescanned photo, hopefully looks a little better. The copy of team photo my mother
has does have names, listed below:

front row:     J Hill, R Paterson, J McNab, A Kay, G Ross, W Leslie
middle row:  T Hamilton, J Rutherford (trainer) J Wilson, J Paterson, T MacPherson, J Fraser,
                   T Halliday (Match Secretary)
front row:     J. Henderson (trainer), W Walker, R. McCartney (captain), Robert Boyd, M. Gillespie,
                   R. Marshall

I've always believed (and was told) this was the Swifts, but I think it may actually be a photo
from Robert Boyd's days at Leith Athletic. I will have to search more-I know there was a Willie
Walker on Leith, will keep digging. Apologies for identifying the photo as Mossend Swifts, but
it is definitely Robert Boyd pictured in both, for those who were looking for photos of him

Offline jboydkennedy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 27 January 19 22:08 GMT (UK) »
Here we are

Offline Canisp

• RootsChat Member
  • Annie Ellis Turnbull (nee Walker) 1898-2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 28 January 19 10:19 GMT (UK) »
I think you may be correct about this photo not being Mossend Swifts. There is no mention in that list of any of the five Ellis brothers who played regularly in the 1880's and 90's. There is a reference in The Courier (West Lothian) of 23rd June 1888 to a photo of Mossend Swifts being taken which states "The players are all in their football attire , while in the midst of them stands a table draped in red, with their two elegant trophies in the centre". Of course there may well have been other photos taken of the Swifts back then.

Edit - Just done a few google searches and quite few of those names you listed played for Leith Athletic.
Paterson (Edinburgh before1840), Smith (Cambusnethan before 1861), Johnstone (Peeblesshire before 1800), Brown (Carnwath before 1825)
Turnbull, Hume, Whitecross, Aitchison (all East Lothian)
Walker (Bathgate before 1850), Lawson (Edinburgh before 1868), Ellis (Biggar, Cambusnethan and West Calder), Jamieson (Biggar before 1800), Cree (Biggar before 1800)
McConnell (Kirkcudbrightshire before 1854)

Offline HairBairn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 13 August 19 20:55 BST (UK) »
Hello jboydkennedy, thank you so much for uploading these images of Robert Boyd.

Robert Boyd is actually my Great Great Grandfather, I have the cap he is wearing in one of the images and some of his medals.

I believe we must be related, would be happy to give some more info I have of his career and would be great to hear what more you know of him.

Kind Regards,

Offline HairBairn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 15 August 19 10:56 BST (UK) »
Hello All,

After doing some more research it would appear that the team image attached is Leith Athletic as the Mossend Swifts strip was as attached. See also the image of the Mossend Swifts badge I have also attached.

I have another image of Robert Boyd with Leith Athletic I will post.

Thanks

Offline HairBairn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 15 August 19 11:07 BST (UK) »
This the other image of Robert Boyd with Leith Athletic. (Top row, 1st on the right)

Also for those interested, Robert Boyd was the uncle of James Boyd of the Hearts Mcrae's Battalion and Archie Boyd, Hearts goalie of around that time.

Thanks

Offline jboydkennedy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 14 March 21 03:32 GMT (UK) »
Once again, I am wrong. By reverse image searching this team photo, it is Third Lanark FC team photo. BBC Scotland had a program about the team and THIS is the photo they used to promote it.
So it is Third Lanark, still Bob Boyd in photo...it is the Mossend Swifts pic(s) that remain elusive, I know they exist!!