Author Topic: Where are they? Lost in 1901, Middlesbrough  (Read 10867 times)

Offline alllegs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Where are they? Lost in 1901, Middlesbrough
« on: Saturday 26 August 06 11:32 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Here is a  bit of a challenge for all you wonderful rootschatters as I am totally stumped!

I have my great grandma Margaret Williams on the 1901 census living with her Aunt and Uncle Charlotte and Matthew Steel.

Margaret's parents were William and Jane Williams (nee Thomas), I can't find them anywhere in 1901 (I do have Jane on previous census with parents etc, but cannot find William on any census)

Margaret Was born in Grangetown, Middlesbrough in the mid 1890's (I can't find her birth record)
William and Jane married on November 28th 1891, at Middlesbrough Registry Office, they were living at 50 Wood Street, Grangetown.

I have also been told by descendant (whom I only found yesterday!) of Charlotte and Matthew that Jane and William had 3 more children, Martha (aka Pattie) born 13th May 1893 South Bank, Rachel born 1895 and Amy (don't know when she was born.)

So they should all be on the 1901 census but where?

Jane was born in Witton Park, Durham in 1872 to John and Rachel Thomas (both Welsh).

And thats about all I know....

I would be eternally grateful fo any help with this lot because yesterday I was able to tell my gran that she was not the only living person left from this side of the family......her mother died when she was 6mths old and her paternal grandmother told her and her brothers that her mum had no family.  So 79 years later Gran found out that she has cousins who lived in the same village as she did as a child and she maybe even knew them....but why they were kept secret is anyones guess.

Any ideas.....  I'd love to know what happened to Jane and William and where the kids are in 1901...

Thank you in immense anticipation
Legs
xxxxx
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
DUR-Bainbridge,Hodgson,Richardson,Walker,Thompson,Armory,Wynn,Humble,Dunn,Chapman,Herin
YKS-Bradley,Hellawell,Dransfield,Sanderson,Gledhill,Mallinson,Tyas,Thornton,Nobel,Brook,Senior,Bower,Kay,Hirst,Smith,Lockwood, Clayton,Rollinson,Swallow
NTHNTS-Hubbard,Line,Goate,Tyler,Weed,Warren,Brown,Hollowell,Bird,Kirby,Dolby,Gilbert,Wootton
NFK-Burton,Myhill,Fisher,Thompson
LNRK-Neilson,Dudson,Forrest,McNight,Paterson
WL-Williams

Offline Essex export

• RootsChat Member
  • My first bike
    • View Profile
Re: Where are they? Lost in 1901, Middlesbrough
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 August 06 13:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Legs

I've had no luck with 1901 but did stumble across a Williams family in 1881.
The parents are from Wales and they have a William born 1871 Hartlepool and a daughter Jane born 1876 in Witton Park. In 1881 they are living in Stockton.

There do seem to be a few coincidences with the family of your Jane Thomas.

Census ref is RG11/4899 Folio 37 page 13.

Let me know if you think it could be your Williams and are unable to view the info and I will transcribe it for you.

Regards
Andy
Ketch, Catch - Warwickshire.
Elliott, Dawson, Armstrong, Rigg, Wass, Gargett, Wilson - Durham.
Fishburn - Durham & N. Yorks
Gibson - Whitby, N. Yorks
Kellett - Yorkshire
Eaton, Horner, Gisby, Cotgrove, Emery - Leigh, Essex
Eaton, Horner, - Australia

Census information is Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alllegs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 August 06 16:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy,

Thank you for looking for me, I've had a look at that census entry but I don't think that is my family....

I probably should have said that William's father was James, a general labourer according to his marriage certificate, also William was 25 when he and Jane married in 1891 so his approximate year of birth would be 1866.

I will, however, keep that family in mind as it is the closest we've come so far!!!

Thank you again
Love
Legs
xxxx

PS anymore suggestions will be greatly welcomed!!
DUR-Bainbridge,Hodgson,Richardson,Walker,Thompson,Armory,Wynn,Humble,Dunn,Chapman,Herin
YKS-Bradley,Hellawell,Dransfield,Sanderson,Gledhill,Mallinson,Tyas,Thornton,Nobel,Brook,Senior,Bower,Kay,Hirst,Smith,Lockwood, Clayton,Rollinson,Swallow
NTHNTS-Hubbard,Line,Goate,Tyler,Weed,Warren,Brown,Hollowell,Bird,Kirby,Dolby,Gilbert,Wootton
WL-Williams

Offline alllegs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 August 06 11:36 BST (UK) »
I think the clue will be with the aunts and uncles seeing as Margaret was with her Steel aunt and uncle I am thinking that the others may be with other sets too.

However I need to find out who all the aunts married.....

I do know that Elizabeth Ann (born Dowlais) married a Hewitt and thay had a daughter called Evelyn.  Apparently Evelyn was mistreated and moved to Blackpool where she later emigrated to Miami to live with Martha (who was also mistreated....)

I'll be back when I have worked out who all the aunts married etc and with a full list of Janes siblings.

Legs
xxxx
WL-Williams

Offline welsh lady

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 August 06 12:05 BST (UK) »
Hiya have come across these in 1891 in South Bank Middlesbrough Yorkshire living with John Clark(Born Wales)    and family.Jane Thomas,Servant,18,Whitton Park,Durham also at house William Williams a Boarder age 28,Shearman.Born Wales.RG 12 4017 Folio 4,Page 1.Is this them?If it is could they have been visiting in Wales in 1901?  Best Wishes Welsh Lady
This information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Amor/Amer-Bromham Wiltshire,Hertfordshire,Suffolk.
Pyett-Suffolk
Wolfenden-Cambridgeshire,Huntingdonshire
Bird,Nash-Essex.
Anderson,-London.Bethnal Green,Shoreditch,Hackney
King-,Uxbridge,Shoreditch,Bethnal Green
Edwards,Roberts,Lane,Price,Williams-Llanelli.
Roberts-Pembroke Dock

Offline alllegs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 August 06 13:17 BST (UK) »
Wow,

Thank you Welsh Lady,  that has to be them.... I hope!  I'd not been able to find them in 1891 so that's fantastic.  Jane's details are spot on, although Williams's age and occupation are out I think it must be more than a coincidence.

**Update** A shearman is a cutter of metal, that links with Willima being an Iron Worker on his marraige certificate.

Thank you so much, at least I might now be able to find something out about William Williams

Love
Legs
xxxxx
WL-Williams

Offline alllegs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 August 06 15:21 BST (UK) »
Ok,  I have located the marriage of Elizabeth Ann Thomas and William Hewitt in March 1/4 1885, however I cannot find a marriage for the other siblings.

Here is a list just in case....

John Thomas born 1867
Elizabeth Ann Thomas (above)
Ebenezer Thomas born 1870
Jane Thomas (my great great gran married William Williams both are missing from 1901)
Margaret Thomas born 1875
Rachel Thomas born 1879
Charlotte Thomas (married Matthew Steel, my great gran is with them in 1901)
Edward Thomas born 1881
Thomas Thomas born 1883

Now to find them on the 1901!!
WL-Williams

Offline alllegs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 27 August 06 15:59 BST (UK) »
Ok

Rachel Thomas married Michael Collins December 1/4 1898 - no random kids of Jane and William Williams with them...
Neither are they with Elizabeth Ann and William Hewitt.....

Thomas Thomas married Emma Everson in June 1/4 1905, he is living with his sister and brother in law Charlotte and Matthew Steel and my great gran Margaret.

Edward married Mary Ann Beck in June 1905 also, not got him on 1901 either but I doubt that Edward or Thomas would have taken in their neices....

I have John plus wife Rose and kids on 1901 now - no Williams kids with them either.

I can't find a marriage for Ebenezer or any sign of him on 1901.

There are far too may possible marriages for Margaret, so cannot find her on the 1901 either.

WHERE THE HECK ARE THE WILLIAMS'S ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
WL-Williams

Offline winston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 27 August 06 18:57 BST (UK) »
HI allegs

Did you know that there was a James Williams boarding with Rachel Thomas in the 1891 census?

James Williams 35 Single Occ Steelworks Labourer born in what looks like Nan***lo, Monmouthshire.

Wendy
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Blakeley in Batley West Yorks
Turner in Hanging Heaton West Yorkshire
Dann last known area Soothill West Yorks
Hirst in Hanging heaton W Yorks
Moss in Morley and Leeds
Parker in Morley W Yorks
Parker in Hull E Yorks
Tilburns in Morley W Yorks