Author Topic: Mary Ann OWENS - 186?  (Read 13665 times)

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Mary Ann OWENS - 186?
« on: Thursday 31 August 06 16:08 BST (UK) »
Anybody got info on Mary Ann Owens, daughter of Bernard Owens and Eliza Fox. Bernard's father was called Richard. Mary Ann was born in either Armagh, Down or possibly Tyrone, but the strongest hint is Armagh. Her father Bernard was a farm labourer. Please help, spent a year tryin 2 find her...my g g granny!
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline teap78

• RootsChat Veteran
  • my mum Gemma Doyle 1950s
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ann Owens-186?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 August 06 21:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Matthew i didnt see your Mary ann but there are a few brothers and a sister for her on the IGI site

Father: Bernard Owens, Mother: Eliza Fox

Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

the first Peter must have died because these 2 were taken from An extracted birth or christening record from Irish civil registration records

Colette
Doyle, Mullan, Mulholland, O'Neill, McCann, Lowry, Mullen, Forsythe, Magilton, Farnan.  Banbridge Co Down , Belfast Co Antrim and Dungannon Co Tyrone .

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 September 06 11:01 BST (UK) »
Wow, thanks Colette. Very useful :D I was thinking Mary Ann's birth would not be registerd, because it was before 1864. Any ideas how I can get hold of parish records for Down, and what does the 0558 Clonavaddy mean. Is it an adress? Parish?

Offline teap78

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 September 06 11:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Matthew. First you will have to find out where in Down they were born then you can get the parish, and the 0558 in front of Clonvaddy? I dont know what it means but Clonvaddy is in Dungannon County Tyrone. It seems as though  Bernard and Eliza started of in Tyrone then made their way to county Down going by the birth dates of the children. I'll keep a look out for any useful info for you like trying to find the parish in Clonvaddy.

Colette
Doyle, Mullan, Mulholland, O'Neill, McCann, Lowry, Mullen, Forsythe, Magilton, Farnan.  Banbridge Co Down , Belfast Co Antrim and Dungannon Co Tyrone .

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 September 06 11:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks Colette. Im having trouble tracing Mary Ann. It is not confirmed, but it was mentioned by my g gran (Mary Ann's daughter), long back. My gran remembers Armagh being mentioned, and also County Down! But the trouble is, being born before 1864, M.A's birth wont be registered, but her baptism would be, but Ive got over a hundred parishes in two (possibly three now Tyrone's come up). If what you sday is true, Mary Ann may have been born in Tyrone! Argh. Im a wee bit frustrated  ???, but I shall carry on looking. Im overseas, but is there a possibility her father will be recorded in any valuation thingys. He was a farm labourer, and I think later a school janitor, in either Ireland or Scotland. Its a shame the info hasnt been recorded in my family, although we have a rough idea. I ll keep you posted though if I find anything. Thanks for the research Colette
Matthew

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 September 06 12:17 BST (UK) »
I know one child, Joseph Owens b.1879, was born in Downpatrick, so I will research that area firstly.

Offline teap78

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 September 06 13:44 BST (UK) »
Good Idea Matthew  ;D

Colette

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 01 September 06 14:47 BST (UK) »
Hello Colette. Ive just found something, but thought I will check it with you first. Ive just gone to www.ancestryireland.com and put in a search for Mary Ann Owens. I found a Mary Ann Owens born in County Down, in 1862. I have her death certificate from scotlandspeople.gov, that says she was 79 when ahe died in 1941. Count back 79 from 1941 and you get...1862! ;D County Down is where her siblings that you found were all born. Could this really be her? I thought her birth wouldnt be registered. Or is it wishful thinking. I need to be sure before I pay to see the record, but it seem to match. There is the slight chance, though it is somebody else. What do you think. You know Ireland better than I do... Im over in England!
Matthew

Offline teap78

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 01 September 06 15:55 BST (UK) »
Yes Matthew i saw that as well but i didnt mention it to you incase it was the wrong one, Its Peters Owens Birth in 1865 in Tyrone thats putting me of. would they have had Mary Ann in Co Down then moved to Tyrone and had Peter then moved Back to co Down? it is possible I suppose and if this Peter died as it would seem maybe that would have made them go back to County Down.

Its entirely up to you what you want to do about this One on the ancestry Ireland Site. I just wish it didnt cost £6  :-\
let me know how you go.

I just checked http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/O/OmOy.htm

and got this

Bernard OWENS . Down registered. Downpatrick; husband of Eliza Fox; father of Peter b. 25 Nov 1869

Colette