Author Topic: bit of an odd question but please help!  (Read 796 times)

Offline Gordon Beaney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
bit of an odd question but please help!
« on: Thursday 04 November 04 16:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi

i have a very odd question and hope someone can help me, my aunt (Kathleen Rose Beaney) died at a few days old at the Luton & dunstable hospital in Bedfordshire in feb 1943 and my uncle knows all but wont tell where she is buried.

My grandfather worked at the hospital at the time and my grandmother never found what he did with her body, we have searched the appropriate grave yards but my uncle said she was buried at the hospital and it is best forgotten but i want to find out for my dad. has anyone any suggestions as to whether they buried at hospitals or how the hospital would have 'disposed' of a baby at that time.

all help very gratefully appreciated.
Beaney & Variants (Worldwide).<br />Battams & Variants (Worldwide).<br />Stone of Bedfordshire & Buckinghamshire.<br />Smith of shetland.<br />Moffatt of London.<br />Tierney of London & Ireland.

Offline JillJ

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: bit of an odd question but please help!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 November 04 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Not a very nice thought, but I recall a fairly recent fiasco about babies who had died soon after birth being used for 'medical science'.

Jill
Jowett & Broadbent in Leeds.
Perry, Hartshorn/e & Wilkes in Birmingham & Dudley. Walker and Dabill in Sheffield & Notts.
Farrar in Darlington & Leeds.
Kidd & Taylor in Hartlepool & Teesside
Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gordon Beaney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 November 04 18:22 GMT (UK) »
hi,

thanks very much for replying, i did wonder this myself especially as he worked at the hospital and i dont think my grandmother ever saw the baby.

I also wondered if they would incinarate or cremate babies, i have been to the hospital recently and could not find any graves etc. and have emailed the hospital to see if they have aany records etc. that might help. I wish my uncle would just say it would help things a great deal, he is the only living relative that side and just wont say anthing about the family at all.
Beaney & Variants (Worldwide).<br />Battams & Variants (Worldwide).<br />Stone of Bedfordshire & Buckinghamshire.<br />Smith of shetland.<br />Moffatt of London.<br />Tierney of London & Ireland.

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 November 04 19:30 GMT (UK) »

Hi Gordon I can sympathise with you - we have more than one unanswered question in our family.  My old Mum has her story and she is sticking to it..beyond the little that she will tell she is saying nothing.

We know from our research that there is a modicum of truth in some of what she says but the rest is pure porkies  :'(.  I am sure she has good reasons but it is upsetting to know that we will probably never know the truth  :-\
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline Gordon Beaney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 November 04 19:53 GMT (UK) »
hi

thanks for your reply, it is such a shame because they know far more than they let on, the whole thing gave my grandmother a breakdown because my grandfather would never tell her what happened.
The only thing is i guess there must be skeletons in every closet!

many thanks