Author Topic: Some advice on starting out.  (Read 5979 times)

Offline ozlady

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ex-South Wales. Down Under in Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
Some advice on starting out.
« on: Monday 04 September 06 06:28 BST (UK) »
I have plenty of names but no dates of birth, marriage, death. What would be the best way to start and where? I have looked at the Genealogy Centre and it's just too expensive.
Watkins, Price Herefordshire
Brannan, Price, GLAM
Edwards, Gardner MON
Clark(e) SOM
 Census information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pat Reid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Some advice on starting out.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 September 06 08:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Ozlady:
I take it you are searching in Leitrim. You might want to start by doing some google searches using the names and "leitrim". It may not give you the exact info you need but it will probably turn up some good sites.
Just as an example, try this.
genealogy leitrim

Good luck,
Pat
Reid, McAlinden, Larmour, Mulholland, Kelly
Warrenpoint, Rostrevor, Rathfriland

Offline ozlady

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 September 06 00:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Pat. I've had a look at the Leitrim-Roscommon home page. There seems to be quite a few sources on that. I've just got to figure out how to use it!
Brannan, Price, GLAM
Edwards, Gardner MON
Clark(e) SOM

Offline Pat Reid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 September 06 02:47 BST (UK) »
Ozlady:
Perhaps some of your names are on the Vital Records Index. Give us a few names and some details and I bet there are folks here who can dig something up for you.

Pat
Reid, McAlinden, Larmour, Mulholland, Kelly
Warrenpoint, Rostrevor, Rathfriland

Offline Jim I

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 September 06 00:17 BST (UK) »
You say you have names but do you have places?  That's probably the most important bit.  Without at least a county you're unlikely to get far, although it still can be possible.

Next comes dates.  I don't mean exact dates - just in general;  e.g.  if you're looking for your grandfather you must have a rough idea of when he was around. Similarly with other relatives.

Try roughing out a family tree in reverse order as below

,                                           You
                                        1960-      
                                             |
                                         Father
                                          1930-2000
                                             |
                                       grandfather
                                         1900-1975
                                             |
                                         great gf
                                          1870-1940

etc etc.  And MOST IMPORTANT -- ASK EVERYONE FOR INFORMATION

Grannies, grand-dads, uncles, aunts, grannies friends etc etc.  You'd be amazed what you can pick up.

Try that and then post some names dates places - even rough ones - you never know who may be able to help.

Best of luck

Jim

Offline ozlady

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 September 06 01:42 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately there are no rellies left that I am aware of. My husband (deceased) was an only child, his father was an only child. The grandfather went to America at some stage and was never heard from again. I'll give you what info I have anyway:

James Joseph O'Hagan born 4/4/1910. Son of Patrick O'Hagan (Hagan) and Anna Maria Reilly. Patrick was one of 5 children born to James O'Hagan and Catherine Brady in Mullinadarragh Carrigallen. I found them on the 1901 census. When Patrick and Anna Maria married they lived at Drumderglin, Carrigallen with "old Mrs. Reilly," described as "a very elegant lady with a bonnet and a cape."

I would like to know more about James Snr. and Catherine, Patrick and Anna Maria. I also want to know when Patrick left for U.S.A. I have a pocket watch inscribed "From Daddy to J.J. 1928". I don't know if this came from America or not. The make of the watch is Waltham.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. One interesting thing I did find was in the book "Carrigallen Parish - A History". There was nun from Beaghmore called Brigid O'Reilly, daughter of Peter O'Reilly and Mary Kate Brady.

Thanks for the replies and advice!

Brannan, Price, GLAM
Edwards, Gardner MON
Clark(e) SOM

Offline Jim I

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 September 06 21:14 BST (UK) »
It’s probably nothing but I am intrigued by an entry on the Ellis Island site.

Arriving on the Orduna on 10th Nov 1914 was a Patrick Hagan, single,  aged 21.  In the index he is given as from Carrigallen but on the ship records he is shown as from Moher, Rooskey, Roscommon with a mother Annie Hagan.

On the face of it not very appealing BUT on the same page are two Carrigallen Reillys, Eugene and John.  Eugene is from Cuckeen while John is from Mullinadara.

John is certainly the son of James Reilly (as in the Census)  I wonder who the Hagan boy is?  Is it just coincidence that he is on this boat?  Could there be a familial connection between your Hagans and this one.

As a matter of interest I have searched the Leitrim-Roscommon 1901 site and can find no Hagans at or near Rooskey?

OK Back to reality!

James & Catherine must have married c. 1872 and probably not more than a year either way.  Their birth certs should be easy to find.

Ditto marriage and then birth certs for Pat and Anna Maria.  Have you tried looking for these yet?

It would appear that Griffith’s Valuation for Mullanadarragh has not been transcribed at Leitrim-Roscommon.  You should be able to get a father’s name from Jas and Kate’s marriage cert.  Once you have that you can try asking for look-ups if anyone has them.

Sorry I’m really tired today so I’ll sign off now.  Hope some of this helps.

Jim

Offline ozlady

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 September 06 01:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jim! That is interesting isn't it? The Patrick I found is age 20 on the 1901. I did have a quick look at Griffiths, where I saw an Edward Hagan at Mullanadarragh. I'll go back and have another go' Where do I apply for birth and marriage certs please?
Brannan, Price, GLAM
Edwards, Gardner MON
Clark(e) SOM

Offline Jim I

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 08 September 06 02:04 BST (UK) »
>Where do I apply for birth and marriage certs please?

Have you got access to an LDS library with a set of the Irish indexes?

You can get the reference numbers and then apply to the GRO in Dublin.  It's much cheaper if you have the reference.

If you do not have access to the LDS then I suggest you ask around for someone to look up the details.    I could probably do some but I have a lot of my own stuff to do and I only seem to get there for a couple of hours a week at the moment.

Work out rough dates and we'll see what we get.

Jim