Author Topic: 1871\61 census - Culfear  (Read 1373 times)

Offline gazza

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
1871\61 census - Culfear
« on: Thursday 04 November 04 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,new here.Very rare surname I hope someone can look up for me in the Norfolk 1871 & 61 census.I have found them in 1881 & 1901 census but need to trace back between then to 1839 when the earlist Culfear i have found was born.Thanks in advance for your time and trouble.

Offline teddybear1843

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1871\61 census - Culfear
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 November 04 21:30 GMT (UK) »
I have checked the 1851 index but no CULFEARs there.  I have not tried variants, which ones do you find?

Where was the one you found born in 1839 as I could do a place search as long as it isn't too big a place!

Teddy ;D
Bear, Burrows, Burroughs, Goll, Mayes, Yull, Bacon, Harvey, Fenn, Youngman, Jary, Lake, Chesney, Yaxley, Freestone, Briggs, Carrington, Frarey, Blaxter, Bennefer, Gosman, Howard, Wildman, Woodbine, Jessop, Taylor, Walpole, etc etc  all in Norfolk.
Weasenham village history and families connected to the villages of Weasenham All Saints & Saint Peter in Norfolk.  Happy to carry out research in Norfolk.  Please PM for details.

Offline gazza

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 November 04 09:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply and kind offer Teddy.
James Culfear was born in Wells-next-the-sea in 1839 and was a mariner.
I have a web page with my family tree info on it. It has a bit more about the Culfear family if you would like to take a peek. It needs a bit of an update my page.I hope to get round to it soon to correct a few errors/new discoveries etc.
http://www.gazza.homechoice.co.uk/
I was wondering myself if "Culfear " was a corruption of some other name.
One of my ancestors was born in "St Houser". Where on earth is that I thought!! Then it occurred to me to pronounce it with a country accent.I then realised that was how "St Osyth" in Essex must have sounded to the census writer,which tied up with my other findings. :-)

Offline teddybear1843

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 November 04 20:21 GMT (UK) »
See letter on this page 30 Oct from Laura.  There is a reply (Berlin Bob?) which refers you to norfolkpubs.co.uk ref a James Culfear.  Have a look, I saw the name & thought of you!

Teddy
Bear, Burrows, Burroughs, Goll, Mayes, Yull, Bacon, Harvey, Fenn, Youngman, Jary, Lake, Chesney, Yaxley, Freestone, Briggs, Carrington, Frarey, Blaxter, Bennefer, Gosman, Howard, Wildman, Woodbine, Jessop, Taylor, Walpole, etc etc  all in Norfolk.
Weasenham village history and families connected to the villages of Weasenham All Saints & Saint Peter in Norfolk.  Happy to carry out research in Norfolk.  Please PM for details.

Offline gazza

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 November 04 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for  spotting that and letting me know teddy. I did know about them already & have the links on my web page  :) thanks all the same.
James Culfear I believe was my Great Great Grandfather. It looks as though he retired or packed up being a mariner then tried his hand at being a landlord,but only lasted a short while before he passed away. Wonder if the drink was to blame.....??  ;D

Offline gazza

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 December 04 14:24 GMT (UK) »
FreeBMD  & Ancestry gave this unusual page ref
Culfear, Maria 1849 June Kings Lynn Norfolk 13 20[3_]
Do you think it is correct ,the 20[3_] bit I mean? I have never seen that before  and wondered if it was a mistake.
            I also have a request. Making a BIG assumption,that Maria is my gg grandfathers sister,it would then appear that the family moved from Wells post 1844, to Kings lynn from above date. So would it be possible that someone could look up Culfear in Kings Lynn in 1851 for me please? I'm guessing around the Hardwick rd/Bridge area.
Thanks
Gazza

Offline gazza

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 December 04 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Additional ; James culfear & his wife Ruth were living at the The Rectory in West lynn in 1881.

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 13 January 05 06:04 GMT (UK) »
Heres James in 1871

RG10/1865 ED 10 Folio 169 Page 10
St Peters West Lynn Norfolk

CULFEAR James Head 32 b Tilney All Saints Norfolk Naval Reserve Man
CULFEAR Ruth Elizabeth Wife 32 b Gaywood Norfolk
CULFEAR Ruth Elizabeth dau 12 b Kings Lynne Norfolk

Cant see anyone with a name like this in 1851 sorry

Cheers Kris  :D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gazza

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 January 05 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Wow ,thanks Kris,I must admit I'd nearly given up hope.
I am puzzled now though. I wonder why James place of birth has changed from Wells to Tilney? Any theories?
Thanks very much for this info. The plot thickens!   :D