Author Topic: Help with searching for a Brighton tailor please....  (Read 747 times)

Offline yorkshirerose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Help with searching for a Brighton tailor please....
« on: Monday 04 September 06 13:59 BST (UK) »
For a few years now I have been searching for any info on a tailor in Brighton who my grandmother worked for and who is the father of my mum. At last I have been given the name of Izzard!!!! I am now trying to find any info on him including his first name. All I know is he was Jewish and became a 'cripple' not very pc nowadays but how an old uncle described him to my mums cousin.
My grandmother lived on Park Crescent in Brighton and i am now wondering if the tailors was close to her address. I am looking at approx years of 1932 - 1945.
My grandmother was born in 1918 and all I know is the tailor was alot older than her, my mum was born in 1934 and she had a brother apparently to the same father in 1941.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thankyou
Rose
Walton, Bleasby, Firth, (Kippax, Allerton Bywater, Carlton Snaith, New Malton Yorkshire) Banks
(Staffordshire and Castleford Yorkshire)
Holley, Booker, Hunt, Sturges, Didham (Hastings, Wiltshire, Surrey, Brighton)

Offline petmas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • We wunt be druv
    • View Profile
Re: Help with searching for a Brighton tailor please....
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 September 06 10:56 BST (UK) »
Hi looked in 1926 Kelly's. only 2 male Izzards, George 262 Queens Rd, Wm George 6 Cavendish Rd. There is a tailor at 73 Park Crescent Rd by name of Forrest Gilbert. have you thought about trying the synagogues in Brighton for records?  Pete
Mason ( Leics, Lincs, Cambs, Rutland)  Packer( Berks, Middx) Bearne, Vining , Sugar Shugar (Somerset, Pennsylvania & S Wales)

Offline yorkshirerose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Help with searching for a Brighton tailor please....
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 September 06 23:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Pete
Thankyou for that. I managed to find Kelly directories for 1930 and 1938, think i've found the man i'm looking for. William George had a tailors in 1938 on Lewes Road Brighton....I think he was born 1911 (my dad was led to believe he was alot older than my grandmother, this would make him 7yrs older but the fact that grandmother had my mum the day before she was 16yrs would have probably been the problem here!!!) now i'm wondering if he is or related to the Wm George you have found. Can't find him in private residents on the 1938 so wondering if he lived on his works premises!!!!
Thankyou for the idea on the synagogues, hadn't thought about that....
Regards
Rose
Walton, Bleasby, Firth, (Kippax, Allerton Bywater, Carlton Snaith, New Malton Yorkshire) Banks
(Staffordshire and Castleford Yorkshire)
Holley, Booker, Hunt, Sturges, Didham (Hastings, Wiltshire, Surrey, Brighton)