Author Topic: Pub Landlords/Landladies  (Read 1813 times)

Offline Davholsea

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Pub Landlords/Landladies
« on: Friday 05 November 04 09:46 GMT (UK) »
I have a relation running a pub in Liverpool at the time of the 1901 Census. Does anyone know if there is a central resource (or any other type of resource) for looking at things like licences, brewery records etc so that i can try to flesh it out a bit? I don't know the name of the brewery but I know the pub is now called the Mere Bank but at one time prior to 1901 was called the Pizzanania.

many thanks
Cunningham - Liverpool
Yates - Liverpool/Wirral
McMahon - Liverpool
Horan - Liverpool
Moody - Liverpool

skippy

Re: Pub Landlords/Landladies
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 November 04 00:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

There doesn't appear to be any central resources for Pubs & Landlords/Landladies..

Some local councils hold Licensed Victuallers records and most councils
have  thousands of photos which may include pics the premises you are researching but you would have to ask and as with most large cities/towns it may be chargable.
Also, there were numerous small and local breweries at the turn of the last century which have been swallowed up, merged and amalgamated into the corporate businesses of today. So even if  you know initial brewery details its a long hard slog..... if indeed the records are still available.
One way of gathering info (as you know the pubs modern name) may be to write directly to the current landlord and or Owner to see if they are willing to provide details from the deeds of the property. This would show when the property was built, the owners throughout the years..hopefully show your relatives.............
If your relatives were not the owners then maybe chasing up the licensed persons (Licensed Victuallers) records and/or Ratepayers/Electoral rolls may shed some light upon your queries......
Pizzanania is a funny 1901 name for a pub ....have you checked with the local Library..........I'm sure they would have a record of of a pub with that name circa 1901.

hope this helps

regards.

SKIPPY

Offline Davholsea

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Pub Landlords/Landladies
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 November 04 15:11 GMT (UK) »
Skippy,
thanks for that, some useful tips for me there.
I got the name pizzanania from the Census return, but there has been no mention of it anywhere. I actually went along to the Pub on a trip to Liverpool (purely for research purposes of course) and although the Landlord was not in at the time the staff said they have never heard or seen any reference to the name. I like your idea of writing to the current owner though and I'll certainly give that a go.

many thanks

Bob
Cunningham - Liverpool
Yates - Liverpool/Wirral
McMahon - Liverpool
Horan - Liverpool
Moody - Liverpool