Author Topic: Need information on William ROWE and family  (Read 5136 times)

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Family History - the ultimate detective story
    • View Profile
Need information on William ROWE and family
« on: Saturday 09 September 06 08:26 BST (UK) »
 :D :D :D :D

WILLIAM ROWE (son of Samuel & Tasmin) was born 1825, in Launcells, Cornwall.  Occupation: Cabinet Turner. He married EMMA ?.  She was born 1826 in Devonport, Devon.  The family appear on the 1851 Census at 17 South Street, Stoke Damerel, with son, William ROWE, b. 1846, Devonport, Devon.

The only likely Emma getting married around that time, is an Emma ROSEVEAR in 1844 in Plymouth, but there could be others not listed.  I need to find out which Emma he actually married.  Also, after the 1851 Census, I can't find the family anywhere and wonder where they could have gone.   Help please ??

8) 8) 8)
BUCKLEY, Ches. & Lancs, DUNN, Ireland & Lancs. EDGSON, Rutland, Leics & Lancs. LYON, Lancs. McNULTY, Ireland & Lancs. MORRIS, Beds, Hunts & Lancs. SWARBRICK, Lancs. TURNER, Lancs. WILLIAMSON, Lancs.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Need information on William ROWE and family
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 September 06 14:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Mobo

Just thought I would have a quick look for you.

Like you , I too could not find them in 1861... so I looked at the death index and found :
Emma Rowe  died Dec quarter 1856 in Stoke Damerel
also a william Rowe died Dec quarter 1856 in Stoke Dameral
(I did look at the original documents to see if their ages matched up , but unfortunately there are no ages stated.)

Do you think this could be a coincidence?....

what I did find on the 1861 census:
Samuel Rowe Cabinet maker widowed  54 yrs
Samuel Rowe  son cabinet maker
living in Barnstaple

What other info do you have ?

deb :)
Travellers = Penfold, Orchard, James
Devon = Middleton,  Waterfield, Adams, Clark/e, Gould
Cornwall = Palmer, Carnarton, Slack/Smith. Morris/h
Wales, New Quay = James, Evans

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 September 06 16:54 BST (UK) »
 ;D ;D ;D

Thanks very much Emma, I think the deaths could be significant, but I don't think William had a brother Samuel.  This is what I have.

SAMUEL ROWE was born September 9, 1792 in St Stephens by Saltash, Cornwall. Occupation: Sawyer/Coal Dealer. He married THOMASIN RICHARDS October 1, 1820 in Lansallos, Cornwall, daughter of WILLIAM RICHARDS and SARAH.  She was born November 14, 1790 in Duloe, Cornwall.  Appears on the 1841 Census with Tamsin & family at Cherry Garden Street, Stoke Damarel, and on the 1851 Census with Tamsin at 53 Granby Street, Stoke Damarel, and on the 1861 Census at 58 Princes Street, Stoke Damerel.
Children
George Rowe, b. 1824, Cornwall.
William Rowe, b. 1825, Launcells, Cornwall.
James Frederick Rowe, b. 1826, Devonport, Devon.
Sarah Rowe, b. 1828, Devon.

WILLIAM ROWE (son of SAMUEL) was born 1825 in Launcells, Cornwall.  Occupation Cabinet Turner. He married EMMA ??.  She was born 1826 in Devonport, Devon.  Appears on the 1851 Census at 17 South Street, Stoke Damerel
Child
William Rowe, b. 1846, Devonport, Devon.

JAMES FREDERICK ROWE (son of SAMUEL) was born 1826 in Devonport, Devon.  Occupation. Soldier, He married ISABELLA LETITIA PAUL 1846 in Exeter, Devon.  She was born 1824 in Creagh, Roscommon, Ireland, and died 1880 in Salford, Lancs.  Appears on the 1851 Census with Isabella & family at Portsmouth Barracks (where he is shown as Frederick Rowe), on the 1861 Census at Duke St. Leicester, and the 1871 Census at Chadwick St. Salford.

8) 8) 8)

BUCKLEY, Ches. & Lancs, DUNN, Ireland & Lancs. EDGSON, Rutland, Leics & Lancs. LYON, Lancs. McNULTY, Ireland & Lancs. MORRIS, Beds, Hunts & Lancs. SWARBRICK, Lancs. TURNER, Lancs. WILLIAMSON, Lancs.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 September 06 17:04 BST (UK) »
There is a marriage for William Rowe in the JFM qtr 1844 in the marriage indexes, Plymouth area ref 9 423.

The Emma Rosevear marriage is in the same quarter, also Plymouth, also ref 9 423.

Looks hopeful - I would get the cert
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 September 06 17:06 BST (UK) »
And this is on Free BMD too, and she is the only Emma on the page, and he the only William.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 September 06 17:12 BST (UK) »
hi
I see a marriage in Plymouth in apr/may/june quarter 1842
There are lots of names on same page amoungst them is : William Rowe and Emma Woolf.

deb

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 September 06 17:21 BST (UK) »
There is a marriage for William Rowe in the JFM qtr 1844 in the marriage indexes, Plymouth area ref 9 423.  The Emma Rosevear marriage is in the same quarter, also Plymouth, also ref 9 423.  Looks hopeful - I would get the cert 

Yes, I saw this Liz, but am not sure.  There are so many other possible William ROWE's on pages where there are clearly females missing.

Thanks anyway

8) 8) 8)

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 September 06 17:22 BST (UK) »
hi
I see a marriage in Plymouth in apr/may/june quarter 1842
There are lots of names on same page amoungst them is : William Rowe and Emma Woolf.  deb 

Thanks deb,

decisions, decisions...............

:D :D :D

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 13 September 06 19:04 BST (UK) »
Hi me again
I have to stop this  ;D it's almost 2 pm here and i still have my PJ's on ...Blimey

Just wondering if your are also searching info for your William's (b 1825) siblings families ie:George  and Sarah ...

also not to put a damper on anything , i wonder if William also died before the 1861 census. I have found a few William Rowe deaths  in Stoke Damerel (in the 1850's) , also a William John Rowe died O/N/D quarter 1856 ..same quarter and year as the other ones i mentioned... Emma and William(see previous posting).

If you have lots of money to spend  ;D ;D maybe ordering the death cert of Emma rowe may be worth while , as the deaths of the Williams i found all happened before she died . So if her husband was not around to register her death maybe her parents would have  and then we will Have their surname ...and we will know who she (emma) is !!!!!!!

ermmmm hope that all makes sense LOL

okay off to get dressed  ::)

deb