Author Topic: Connor Cecily b.c.1831-COMPLETED  (Read 2832 times)

Offline SASHAR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Connor Cecily b.c.1831-COMPLETED
« on: Tuesday 12 September 06 06:02 BST (UK) »
I have very little information other than this -  Cecily Connor b.c.1831 Roscommon, father Peter.
Cecily possibly came to Australia aboard the "Hooghly" from Plymouth to Adelaide in 1855.  I have her Aust. connections but nothing other than the above about her background.
Is this too little info to check anywhere?
Appreciate some advice - thanks, Sashar
Researching:
Ireland: Farrelly, Brady, Bourke/Burke & poss Smyth/Smith, Connor
Scotland: Paterson, MacGregor, Graham
Derbyshire:  Richardson, Bryer
Germany/Prussia:  Hein, Nuske, Milich, Baum
Australia: Farrelly, Paterson, Richardson, Hein, Milich, Smith/Smyth

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Connor Cecily b.c.1831
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 February 08 02:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello SASHAR,

You are a bit short on information ... Cecily's denomination as well as the parish and townland where she was born would make the search easier as you'll have to rely on Church records as civil registration in Ireland was not introduced until 1864. Non Catholic marriages were registered from 1845 onwards. When registration for BDMS started in 1864 some people didn't bother with the registration for a few years after that date. Keep your fingers crossed that church records still exist.

Christopher

Offline SASHAR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Connor Cecily b.c.1831
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 February 08 05:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christopher,
Two years have passed since I posted my request so I was most delighted to get some feedback.
Cecily has proved quite elusive, but I have confirmed that she was on the ship "Hooghly" which arrived in Pt Adelaide, Sth Australia from Plymouth in 1855.  She was on the Single Women's list as Cicely Connor, and if her birthdate of c.1831 is correct she would have been about 24yrs of age.   Peter is named as her father when she married in Australia.   She married in the Catholic Church and was buried in a Catholic Cemetery in 1903 aged 73yrs.

I was given the Christening details of a Caecilia CONNOR Christened 29.10.1830 Athlone and Drum, Roscommon, Ireland, RC.  Father was Joannis Connor and mother Mariae Dolan.   As you can see, quite different fathers names but who knows - the rest of the details fit nicely.   

Cicely had 5 sons born in Australia, the firstborn named Peter (not a name from her husband's side of the family).  3 of the sons had daughters, the first born all named Mary.

As you said, most of the early civil records in Australia are also hard to find.  Not many of the Catholic births in my family were registered but have found some Christening records through the Catholic Church.

Thanks again for contacting me, it was a nice surprise - regards,  Sashar
Researching:
Ireland: Farrelly, Brady, Bourke/Burke & poss Smyth/Smith, Connor
Scotland: Paterson, MacGregor, Graham
Derbyshire:  Richardson, Bryer
Germany/Prussia:  Hein, Nuske, Milich, Baum
Australia: Farrelly, Paterson, Richardson, Hein, Milich, Smith/Smyth