Author Topic: searching for family ancestors  (Read 1396 times)

Offline bigjdpd

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
searching for family ancestors
« on: Tuesday 12 September 06 21:24 BST (UK) »
i do know that one of my ancestors was alexander duff who was an evangelist. i do not know where in the country he was from.

Online Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: searching for family ancestors
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 September 06 21:49 BST (UK) »
Hello, and welcome to RootsChat!

I found this on Wikipedia which might give you a start:

Dr. Alexander Duff, D. D. LLD. (April 15, 1806 – February 12, 1878), was a Christian missionary of Scottish heritage who worked in India. He was the first overseas missionary of the Church of Scotland to India. On July 13, 1830, Duff founded the General Assembly's Institution in Calcutta, which is now known as the Scottish Church College. He also played a part in establishing the University of Calcutta.

If you google his name you will find quite a lot of information - his wife was called Anne Scott Drysdale, and the IGI http://www.familysearch.org  has their marriage: 30 Jul 1829, Saint Cuthberts, Edinburgh, Midlothian.

Rambler

ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk