Author Topic: Mayors of Banbury  (Read 4337 times)

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
Mayors of Banbury
« on: Wednesday 13 September 06 13:26 BST (UK) »
I have recently found a family who seem to have several Mayors of Banbury among their number. Can anyone look up when various WESTs were Mayor in Banbury please?
Trees
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
Re: Mayors of Banbury
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 September 06 13:36 BST (UK) »
Quite a few references on Google to 'Mayor of Banbury' - including a chap who insisted that Henry III reigned before Henry II   ::)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Elleray Girl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Alice Gornall (1909 - 1973)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 September 06 13:43 BST (UK) »

Hello Trees,

I found this entry.................

House of Lords Journal Volume 8
18 June 1646

Order for West to continue Mayor of Banbury.

"Whereas the Borough and Town of Banbury hath been anciently incorporated, and hath had divers Privileges granted to it by the Kings and Queens of this Realm, as by divers Charters to them granted doth appear; and whereas the Government there hath a long Time been by a Mayor, Aldermen, Burgesses, and Justices of Peace in the said Town, the Mayor for the Time being having been always the Chief Officer, and for the Time of his being Mayor having been Justice of Peace and of the Quorum, within the said Town and Borough and Liberties thereof; and, by their Charter and ancient Custom, the Mayor hath been always from Time to Time chosen out of the Aldermen, upon the First Monday in September Yearly, to take his Place and execute the Office of Mayor within the said Borough and Town of Banbury and Liberties thereof, upon and from the 29th Day of the said September, for One whole Year then next following; and whereas Aholiab West Gentleman, being then and yet One of the Aldermen of the said Borough, was, upon the First Monday in September, 1644, legally chosen to be Mayor for the Year then next following, according to the Charter and ancient Custom of the said Borough and Town; but, before and upon the First Monday in September, 1645, when another Alderman should have been chosen Mayor in his room for this present Year, the Town and Borough of Banbury and Castle there were so infested with bloody and cruel Enemies, who burned and pulled down a great Part of the said Town, that the Mayor and most of the Aldermen and Burgesses, by reason of their Cruelty, were constrained to fly out of the said Town and Borough, to save their Lives, before the said First Monday in September, 1645, and could not with Safety return thither again, till of late that the Town and Castle there were reduced to the Obedience of the Parliament, so as no Choice hath or could be made, according to the Charter and ancient Custom of the said Borough, of another Mayor, to succeed the said Aholiab West for this present Year:
"It is therefore Ordered and Ordained, by the Lords and Commons in this present Parliament assembled, That the said Aholiab West shall be and continue Mayor, and execute the Office and Authority of Mayor, within the said Town and Borough of Banbury, untill the 29th Day of September next; his being not chosen upon the First Monday of September last, according to the Charter and ancient Custom, or any other Act or Thing in their Charter, Customs, or otherwise, to the contrary notwithstanding."

Karen
Elleray (Cumberland), Wren (Keswick), Parker (L'Pool and Cheshire), Bray (Cheshire), Gornall (Lancashire), Smithies (L'Pool), Rainford (West Kirby), Pinches (Shropshire and Wirral), Wilson, Walton and Merrick (Haddenham, Bucks)

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 September 06 13:49 BST (UK) »
Wow you are quick off the mark thanks both yes I have found both these quotes. Aholiab had a son and several nephews who were also Mayors cant seem to find a list of all the mayors
Trees

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 September 06 13:52 BST (UK) »
From A2A site - www.a2a.org.uk

BANBURY BOROUGH

Catalogue Ref. BOR/2
Creator(s):
Banbury Borough Council

Representatives and officers - ref. BOR/2/XVIII

Reprint from Banbury Guardian

FILE - Reprint from Banbury Guardian entitled 'The Bailliffs and mayors of Banbury' - ref.  BOR/2/XVIII/xii/1  - date: [18 Nov 1886]
         [from Scope and Content] Councillor Robinson presented an illuminated list of the Bailiffs and Mayors of Banbury to the Corporation at its last meeting. As some misapprehension arose as to the observations made by him, a complete list (as far as possible) is given here. The list begins with the year 1553 when the first Charter was given.

The list isnt shown - but contact Oxfordshire Archives:-

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/archon/searches/locresult_details.asp?LR=160
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 September 06 13:57 BST (UK) »
Many thanks this looks good
Trees

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 15 September 06 00:11 BST (UK) »
There is a Rootsweb list for Banbury - you could well find someone there who has access to a list of mayors.
Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk