Author Topic: Thomas Roberts  (Read 1710 times)

Offline strebor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Thomas Roberts
« on: Thursday 14 September 06 00:00 BST (UK) »
Try as I might I have come to a full stop with my gggrandfather Thomas Roberts the only clue I have is from his son Thomas Roberts  aged 26 who married Mary Jane Mundy aged 26 at Aust in the parish of Henbury on the 21st October 1893. The only clue being on the birth certificate that he was a labourer - not really a clue?
I had problems with the Mund(a)y side with the spelling of the name including Mary's father William being Mundy on the marriage certificate but Munday on his gravestone - but the Roberts has led me up a series of dead ends - any help would be much appreciated.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Roberts
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 September 06 09:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Strebor

I am a little unclear - do you have the marriage and birth certs?

Could you post all the info you have & tell us which 'dead ends' you have followed?  There is no point in our repeating searches that have proved to be fruitless for you.

Hoping to help

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

p.s. I wouldn't worry too much about spellings on older records...

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline strebor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 September 06 13:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Arranroots

I have no other information except the name of the father on the Marriage Certificate. It is the father whom I am trying to trace - I have looked on the 1901 census when the son Thomas Roberts (snr) is shown as coming from Kingswood - I am not sure if this is Kingswood nr Bristol or Kingswood nr Charfield GLS - but earlier Census have no trace of a Thomas Roberts (snr) with a son Thomas Roberts (jnr) in either locality that would match the age of Thomas (jnr). The only information I have on Thomas (snr) is that he appears on his son's Marriage certificate - I have no idea where he came from or even if he was at the wedding. I do not have the Birth certificate of Thomas (jnr) as at this moment I do not really know where he originates from.

Many thanks for your interest

Strebor

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 September 06 13:37 BST (UK) »
Ah good, we have cleared that up!  :)

Can you tell us the father's occupation from the marriage cert?  Is he the labourer, or the son?  who were the witnesses to the marriage?

Can you identify the son on the 1891 census or earlier? You say you don't have him with his father.

Where are the pair in 1901and can you give the reference please?

sorry, so many questions!

;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 September 06 13:41 BST (UK) »
Edit: I have them in Aust in 1901

RG13/2411/128/10

Children Arthur, Herbert and Hubert so no clues there!  Thomas is a carter on a farm & everyone but him is from Aust.

;)

Offline strebor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 September 06 23:26 BST (UK) »
Got to work with renewed vigor - think may have solved problem

Both Son and Father on Marriage are both Laborers
The witnesses are Thomas Tudor and Lillie Mundy

1891 Census

Roberts Thomas 60 Highwood Farm Dursley

Roberts     Thomas     24     Laborer     Farm Laborer     Kingswood, Gloucestershire     Manor Farm, Almondsbury

In the 1881 Census

Thomas Roberts 48  Agr Laborer Inglestone Hawkesbury Glos
Thomas Roberts 15  Agr Laborer Inglestone Hawkesbury Glos

in the 1871 Census

Thomas Roberts 40 Farm Servant Charfield Road Dursley
Thomas Roberts 5 Son Scholar Charfield Road Dursley

- this seems the most likely however I note that in the 1901 Census that Thomas (jnr) aged 31

- also I note Thomas (snr) ages at different rates between censuses

obviously transcription errors.

I checked on FreeBMD and I have a Thomas Roberts born March 1866 in Dursley - which fits the Kingswood GLS connection - but does throw out 1901 which must be transcription error.

Offline BagpussBee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Emily Mustoe-Wheeler (Great Granny) 1885-1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 October 06 17:01 BST (UK) »
Well this is odd. Thomas Roberts crops up in conversation for the second time today. I had a message from someone on Genes Connected today about Thomas Roberts. Ofcourse Strebor you may be the same person?!?

Anyhow - I have Thomas Roberts b 1831 Charfield m Ruth Shipton b. 1835 (I have plenty of info on the Shiptons):
Children - Luke, William, Elizabeth, Mary Ann and Thomas b. 1866.

PS Strebor if you are the same person I appear to have sent you a blank email in reply. My apologies.

Glos: STEVENS, SHIPTON, MUSTOE, ALDER, MORSE, ROBBINS, SCOTT<br />Suffolk: FARROW, LAMBERT, RAMPLEN, LILLISTONE<br/>Somerset & Devon: Davys, Davey, Yeandle, Heal, Heywood, Williams, Palmer, Chilcott, Brewer, Bristow. Gold/Gould