Author Topic: What kind of place is Terryhoogan/Terryhoughan?- COMPLETED  (Read 1224 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
What kind of place is Terryhoogan/Terryhoughan?- COMPLETED
« on: Friday 15 September 06 21:59 BST (UK) »
Hi, Everyone,
I'm thinking of visiting Armagh some time in the not too distant future to pursue some of the roots involving a particular ancestor of mine, and I've been told that the place Terryhoogan - or Terryhoughan - may well have featured as early as 1747 or so.
Could someone with local knowledge give me some kind of idea of what kind of place this village(?) is today...
Very best wishes,
keith

Offline Pat Reid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: What kind of place is Terryhoogan/Terryhoughan?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 September 06 07:04 BST (UK) »
 Hi Keith:
 Terryhoogan is in Ballymore parish on the Newry Canal.
The Newry Canal, dating back to 1742, is the oldest inland waterway in the British Isles ahead of the Manchester Ship Canal and its historical and strategic value is considered highly significant for many people in the area.

During the mid and late-18th century wooden sailing ships took thousands of Ulster immigrants from the canal to the open sea. Ship traffic on the Newry Canal ceased in 1974.

http://www.discovernorthernireland.com/downloads/walkNI.pdf#search=%22terryhoogan%20armagh%22

Archaelogical dig at Terryhoogan
http://www.qub.ac.uk/caf/DSRs/CAFDSR28.pdf Broken link

Good luck,
Pat
Reid, McAlinden, Larmour, Mulholland, Kelly
Warrenpoint, Rostrevor, Rathfriland

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Re: What kind of place is Terryhoogan/Terryhoughan?
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 September 06 10:08 BST (UK) »
Pat,
Thank you so much for all this lovely information!  Had no idea about the Newry Canal being so significant...
keith