Author Topic: Do you need help in Athy, Co Kildare  (Read 108332 times)

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Do you need help in Athy, Co Kildare
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 07 October 06 09:32 BST (UK) »
well I am currently job hunting maybe I will Tee hee no probs PJC enjoy , Damsel  ;D

Damsel, by the looks of things on this thread you'll only have to ask satisfied RootsChatters and you'll have several great references by return. Do you think employers would accept references from RootsChatters?

Offline Celtic Damsel

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 08 October 06 11:51 BST (UK) »
 :) Tee Hee Christopher I wish !! I'm actually having fun helping out others as Kildare is not my native county I'm a "big Smoke " girl so its been teaching me loads about the area as well regards Damsel
O'Brien, Dublin, Kavanagh, Dublin, Owens, Dublin and Wales, Gibbs, London and Kent, Hill, London and Cork, Goldfinch, London and Kent, Connelly, Dublin

Offline Celtic Damsel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 09 October 06 19:18 BST (UK) »
Hi John P , just got back from Kill an hour or so ago , you did'nt say if your ancestors were COE or in the case COI or Catholic as far as I remember ? but the only cemetry in Kill is on the grounds of St Johns COI Church.
The church itself is still in business "so to speak" , but only have services every couple of weeks or so. I walked the whole cmemtry and discovered that very few of the headstones are actually still readable, and quite a lot of the graves were only ever marked by a small Rock type stone which I imagine had the very basic information about the person on it. I have some photos for you of the church and cemetry if you send me an email address in a personal message I will gladly forward them to you. Without you having the exact grave it would be impossible to tell which one your ancestor is buried in, you can find this out by writing to, or emailing for the information to library@ireland.anglican.org , they hold of the records and are very helpful. I also spoke to Brian McCabe of the local history society he said he received your letter and will be replying very soon, sorry could'nt be more helpful but if you get the information and still want a photo of the actual grave I will go back and get one for you, Regards Damsel
O'Brien, Dublin, Kavanagh, Dublin, Owens, Dublin and Wales, Gibbs, London and Kent, Hill, London and Cork, Goldfinch, London and Kent, Connelly, Dublin

Offline Celtic Damsel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 09 October 06 19:46 BST (UK) »
Hi RorY T , well your trip took me to what must be one of the prettiest spots in Kildare ! I was told the Church at a little village called Narragmore was the place to find out about burials for your ancestors based on where they lived, I had emailed the Reverend but hadn't received a reply so I rang the number on the Church Gates (which were closed when  I arrived) and spoke to him, he said he was on holiday and would check the records for me but suggested I opened the gates and drive up as the cemetery is around the church. I had to climb over a wall in my skirt so I hope no one was looking apart from the Cows as I must have been quite a sight !!  :o
It is a spectacular view from the Church as it is at the top of a very long driveway and up a hill, the view is down the valley and over to the Wicklow mountains in the distance quite breathtaking !!
I checked all of the readable Gravestones for your Talbots ( bearing in mind any other spelling thereof also ) but they are not mentioned there on any of the stones.
 However as always there are also a lot of totally unreadable stones so now we wait to see what the Reverend Delamere comes up with !! If there's anything I will let you know and go back and get a photo of the actual grave if you want, in the meantime I have some shots of the Church, Cemetery and environs if you would like to get a feel for where they lived send me a mail addy on a personal message and I will forward them to you in the meantime keep the fingers crossed , I also think you could contact the COI Library atlibrary@ireland.anglican.org as you have the address and years of Death so they will be able to tell you exactly where they are buried, if not at this cemetery, let me know if you get anything that way...Regards Damsel

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 10 October 06 20:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Damsel,  Thanks for the photos of Kill churchyard, shame only a few of the headstones are readable. I got email back from the RCB library regarding Kill burial records saying they have registers that can be consulted or pay them 10 euros to do a search. Also had email back from Brian McCabe regarding my request for Bishops Court info. This is going too well.  Thanks again John
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Celtic Damsel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 10 October 06 21:55 BST (UK) »
No Problem at all John hope you get all the information you need and if I can be of any further help just ask. Hope my search goes well over there in the Uk I'm also unfortunate in that my grandfather was born in Wales and left us very little informaion here in ireland and my paternal grandmother was also born there in Derby and we have very little info on her either yet, so hopefully something will give soon on both, again good luck told you the library were very good, regards Damsel

Offline geney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 11 October 06 23:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Celtic Damsel

I am trying to find if Nury is in Kildare or has the Census spelt it wrong?

If the right area I might be able to trace my gt Grandfather and some more of the family if it is right.

Best wishes

Geney

Offline Celtic Damsel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 12 October 06 09:05 BST (UK) »
the village your looking for is "Nurney", its not too far from me can you give me more details and I will help if I can ,  regards Damsel
NURNEY: A small village with an interesting pub, a church and ancient stone cross. Nearby at Clonmelsh cemetery Walt Disney's ancestors are buried

http://www.kildare.ie/heritage/lewis-topographical-dictionary/nurney2.asp

Offline geney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 12 October 06 22:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Celtic Damsel

Thanks for the website to view! The reason I had emailed to ask, was there ever a place named Nury, Ireland because that was on my Gt Grandfathers Census information, but for the rest of the family where they were born, they wrote Ireland and that was hard trying to find their place of birth. I had just found Gt Grandfathers details and wondered if the place was put down wrong or there was a place Nury, but they changed it to Nurney.
Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

Geney