Author Topic: FULLJAMES - USA and Canadian immigration - COMPLETED  (Read 4936 times)

Offline bearkin

• RootsChat Member
  • http://thewhitefamilyhistory.org.uk
    • View Profile
FULLJAMES - USA and Canadian immigration - COMPLETED
« on: Sunday 17 September 06 22:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Rootschatters,

I am researching the Fulljames family from Kent. Two Fulljames family emigrated to Canada, according to the 1881 census. I think I have found then in Ancestry.com immigration records. Would any kind soul who has a subscription to the immigration records on Ancestry.com please let me know the full details for the following:

New York Passenger lists: Anne Fulljames, Anne Maria Fulljames, Francis Eliz Fulljames, Harriet, Fulljames Robert Charles Fulljames, John Pringle Fulljames, Thos V. fulljames.

I believe this is one family.

Canadian Immigration records: Charles, A. Elizabeth and Alfred Fulljames.

Passenger and Immigration Indexs  list: Elizabeth, Mary, Thomas Fulljames.

I believe these relate to one family.

I already have an ancestry.co.uk subscription, but I am relucant to pay out even more money just for this information.

Any help would be really appreciated. Many thanks in advance,

Pete
whites, oxon; fulljames, kent; sawyer, london, essex; figtree, anywhere; clark, kent; pipe, somerset; shorter, glos; woodman, wilts.

Offline MJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Great-grandfather Private Arthur Henry Prior
    • View Profile
Re: FULLJAMES - USA and Canadian immigration
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 September 06 15:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Pete,

I don't have access to the US ones, but I looked up the others. (I have ancestry.ca,  not ancestry.com)

The Canadian Immigration records is just an extraction from the 1901 census, where year of immigration is a question on the form.  Here are all the Fulljames from 1901:

Ward 5, Winnipeg, Manitoba
Alfred Fulljames, Head, b. April 1860, England, Plasterer - immigrated 1870
Clara N, Wife, b. March 1866 Ontario
Florence, Daur, b. Aug 1895, Manitoba

Cranbrook, British Columbia
Harry Fulljames, Head, b. 1847 England, Plaster - immigrated 1870
Charles Fulljames, Lodger, b. 1854 Eng, ", imm. "
Edward Fulljames, Lodger, b. 1857 Eng, ", imm. "
(all brothers of Alfred??)

Guelph, Wellington County. Ontario
Thos. V. Fulljames, Head, b. 1840 Eng, Carpenter - imm. 1856
Mary Ann, Wife, b. 1847 Scotland, imm. ?
Gerturde, Daur, b. 1891 Ontario
Fredick, Son, b. 1892 Ontario

You can find all of these by searching the index at automatedgenealogy.com, then follow the links to view the original images (much more detail on image then in index).

I don't know where they got A. Elizabeth from in the immigration records - don't see her in the census.

The Thomas, Mary and Elizabeth from the Passenger and Immigration Lists is an extraction from the 1871 census of Ontario (all people not born in Canada).  The only other information is the they are all living in Ontario, Thomas age 51, mary age 50 and Eliza age 1.  It is not possible to tell from the index if they are a family. 

The 1871 census is not online, but there is an index to heads of household and people whose names are different from the head of household.  They are the only Fulljames in the census (Ontario only).  From the index entry, Thomas and Eliza live in the same town, both born England, but Mary lives in another place and was born in the US.  You can view the 1871 index here: http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/020108_e.html

I know you were probably hoping for ships passenger lists, so I hope this isn't too disappointing  ::)  For more information on finding immigrants to Canada on passenger lists, see the topics called "Ships Passenger Lists BEFORE 1865" and "Ships Passenger Lists AFTER 1865" near the top of the "Emigrants to Canada" board. 

If you would like any other look-ups (like BMDs), just let us know!

MJP

Information given in census transcriptions is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Eagle (Yorkshire), Prior (Berkshire), Buckland (Nottinghamshire),
Short (Devon), Sinclair (Caithness, Scotland), Patterson (Co. Tyrone, Ireland)

Offline bearkin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: FULLJAMES - USA and Canadian immigration
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 September 06 03:46 BST (UK) »
Dear MJP,

Thanks for all your help. That is really useful. I think I have enough information now to link my UK Fulljames to those in Canada.

Thanks again,

Pete
whites, oxon; fulljames, kent; sawyer, london, essex; figtree, anywhere; clark, kent; pipe, somerset; shorter, glos; woodman, wilts.

Offline MJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Great-grandfather Private Arthur Henry Prior
    • View Profile
Re: FULLJAMES - USA and Canadian immigration - COMPLETED
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 September 06 14:08 BST (UK) »
Glad to help Pete!  Good luck with the rest of your searches...

MJP
Information given in census transcriptions is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Eagle (Yorkshire), Prior (Berkshire), Buckland (Nottinghamshire),
Short (Devon), Sinclair (Caithness, Scotland), Patterson (Co. Tyrone, Ireland)

Offline johnnyboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 October 06 01:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Pete: In case you're still looking for a U.S. connection: I had a look at http://www.ellisisland.org and http://www.castlegarden.org/index.html, the two sites with passenger lists for arrivals into New York City. I couldn't find any FULLJAMES (nor a few variant spellings) on either site coming to America through New York City. I've included the urls so that you can check the sites yourself. The Ellis Island site requires that you register before doing a search.

The Fulljames folks might have arrived through Boston or Philadelphia or Baltimore  or a smaller Atlantic Coast port. The passenger lists for those ports are only on Ancestry.com--to which I have access only when I go the library.

I also searched the Social Security Death Index, which is the closet thing in the U.S. to a national death index (http://ssdi.genealogy.rootsweb.com). There were only eight entries for FULLJAMES on the index for the entire country, most born after 1900.

Perhaps a re-post for a search of Ancestry.com lists--or a U.S. census search (the 1890 U.S. census was destroyed in a fire, by the way)--might be in order?

Regards,
John
ENGLAND (all Yorkshire but one)
SLATER: Ovenden, Halifax, and Massachusetts
DOBSON, LONGBOTTOM: Thornton (Bradford)
DRURY: Darton, Halifax, and Massachusetts
NEVIL(LE): Wigan (Lancs.), Darton
MEGSON: Dewsbury, Ossett
GARSIDE: Woolley, West Bretton

SCOTLAND
ROBERT HENDRY: b. 1856, Who-knows-where-shire, Scotland; 1882 to US
DEMPSTER, HOUSTON: Lesmahagow, Glasgow, and Massachusetts
GALBRAITH, MEIKLE: Kirkmichael, Ayr.; Hamilton, Glasgow, and Massachusetts

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 October 06 14:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Pete,

New York Passenger Lists

Arrival:  May 14, 1852
Port of Departure:  Liverpool, England
Destination:  USA
Ship Name:  Great Britain
Port of Arrival:  New York

John P. Fulljames, 39, Solicitor's Clerk
Anne Fulljames, 38
Thos. V., 13
Francis Elizabeth, 11
Harriett, 8
John Pringle, 6
Anne Maria, 3
Robert Robert, 3

Karen

Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 October 06 14:49 BST (UK) »
Pete,

Looking at the marriages, deaths and birth, seems some where in Guelph, Ontario and John P., the father died in Barrie, Ontario.

I live in Barrie, and I'm from Guelph (going there this weekend for Thanksgiving), so if there is anything you want, like pictures or tidbits of information on the family, let me know.

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline bearkin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 05 October 06 15:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen and John,

Thanks for the additional information. With your help and that from other people I think I now have all the information I need. My goal was just to track down which branches of the Fulljames family emigrated to N.  America. I think I now have all I need to link these N. American FUlljames back to their origins in the UK. When I have time I will post all this on my website.

Thanks again,

Pete

Offline bearkin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 October 06 20:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Everybody,

I think I need your help again. I have just spent the afternoon piecing together all the information I have been sent and have a bit of an anomaly. Is it possible for people to be counted twice in Canadian censuses?

In the 1881 census is list the family of Thomas (deceased) and Mary Fulljames (widow) at Barrie, Ontario. All the expected family are accounted for except James William Fulljames. He is living in York. What is very strange living with him, the census records Charles Fulljames. However, this same Charles Fulljames is listed living with his mother. I have just been through the birth indexes for the whole of 1847-1860, and there is only one Charles Fulljames from England. Also listed is another Mary Fulljames (widow) in York, Ontario of exactly the same age as the other Mary and also English (but apparently from the US?).

A similar duplication occurs in 1901 census. I have a Charles Fulljames (b. 1854), plasterer, living in Winnipeg, with family. This Charles is definitely the son of Thomas and Mary, as he gives is middle as Edgar on his marriage license. But in Cranbrook BC is another Charles Fulljames (b. 1854) plasterer! Same name, same age, same occupation! What is very confusing he is living with Harry Fulljames (b. 1847) who is definitely also a son of Thomas and Mary Fulljames.
Fulljames is a rare name, even in the UK, so to find two people of the same name, age and profession within in the same family group is very odd.

Any help with resolving with conumdrum would be greatly appreciated. Also in Cranbrook BC appears an Edward Fulljames in 1901. No Edward Fulljames exists in the UK birth records from around this time. So any help with him would be appreciated.

Pete