Author Topic: david benbow  (Read 5799 times)

Offline ozzie2006

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
david benbow
« on: Tuesday 19 September 06 15:45 BST (UK) »
please can anyone help? I'm trying to trace my gggrandfather david Benbow. I know he was born in wern llandinam 1841 to a Mary benbow but cant trace who she was and who her parents were on 1841 census

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
Re: david benbow
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 September 06 21:29 BST (UK) »

Hello Ozzie, and Welcome to Rootschat ;D

I have had a look at the 1841 and I can see a small number of possibilities for Mary. 

Do you know roughly what year she was born?

I know he was born in wern llandinam 1841

Can I ask where you got this information from?

I'm just going to see if I can find any birth record for David.

All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline ozzie2006

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 September 06 23:38 BST (UK) »
I have his birth certificate 25/6/1841 which only lists his mother. I know nothing further about her and have not been able to find a place called wern in llandinam.
thanks for your reply

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 September 06 11:28 BST (UK) »
Well, we now know that David won't be listed in the 1841 as it was taken on the 6th June, so he missed it by 19 days :(

I assume that Wern, Llandinam is on the birth certificate - could you just confirm for me please?

All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 September 06 13:05 BST (UK) »
I have looked through the Llandinam images in the 1841 and can only find the following, which might be a possibility:-

HO107/1436/2 folio 36 page 3 - Hill, Llandinam

Edward Benbow 65 Farmer Y
Ann Benbow 60 Y
Mary Benbow 25 Y

Wrongly transcribed as BEMBOW

Offline ozzie2006

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 September 06 15:07 BST (UK) »
it definately says wern llandinam on the birth certificate. Does such a place exist? Would mary have then moved in the few days following his birth? I have found a david Benbow (Bemboow) in 1851 living his grandfather Edward age 65 so it looks promising with the one you found though edward hasn't aged in 10 years!
Thanks for your help

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 September 06 17:29 BST (UK) »
I have checked the 1841 image for Edward and it definitely states his age as 65, but it wasn't uncommon for them to lie ;D 

I have just looked through the census images for Llandinam and I have found two families living at Wern (it appears in the "Place" column)!!!! No Benbow's though :( There's Thomas Carter, Farmer and family, and Richard Rees, Labourer and family.  There's a possibility that Mary Benbow came to Llandinam to give birth, but where did she move from?

Offline ozzie2006

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 22 September 06 21:32 BST (UK) »
 :)thanks so much for your help. It's nice to know wern actually exists!! maybe one of the people living there was the father - there is no father on the birth certificate.
Do you know if the 1861 census is complete? I have been trying to find another relative Zachariah Williams and he is in every census apart from 1861!
Jackie

Offline RuthieB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 29 September 06 21:33 BST (UK) »
Funnily enough, I know that family that currently live at Wern; I've been checking the censuses for them to give a little information of the house's history. Haven't come across any Bembow/Benbow yet though. I have Thomas Carter in the 1851 still at the Wern.

I've seen Benbow transcribed as Bembow a couple of times; one of my Radnorshire Mantles married a Richard Bembow from Montgomeryshire.

RuthieB
Jones, Mantle; Radnorshire
Russell, Stonehouse, Agar; Yorkshire/Durham
Brown, Fair; Durham,  
Little, Cumberland
Morris, Woolley, Owens; Montgomeryshire.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk