Author Topic: Abercairney  (Read 3123 times)

Offline Julz MM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Abercairney
« on: Friday 22 September 06 11:21 BST (UK) »
Would anyone be able to tell me if or where there is a burial ground on the Abercairney Estate near Crieff.
If there isn't any, where would any burials from the estate be made?
Im looking for a burial between 1857 and 1873.

Thanks

Julia

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Abercairney
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 September 06 16:31 BST (UK) »
I have had a look at the pre 1855 M.I booklet and it doesn't mention any Abercairney Estate burial ground. The nearest ones will probably be Fowlis Wester, Monzie and then Crieff. Were your ancestors from that area? If so I can have a look and see if any of their relatives were buried around there.
So far I haven't had a lot of luck finding any of ours in the booklet.
Rae
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cline: Ireland and Berwick on Twieed
Collin: Eyemouth
Clyne: Ireland, Berwickshire, Northumberland
Barns, Barnes: Fife
Walker: Edinburgh & Stirling
Laing, Wilson, Forrest, Forrester, Colven, Rae, Cowe, Buglass, Johnson, Wilson, Thorburn, Darling, Broomfield, : Berwickshire
McRaw, Cameron, Taylor, Gould/Guild, McIntyre, Maxton, McDonald, Douglass : Perthshire
Cormack, Campbell, Sutherland, Doull: Caithness

Offline Julz MM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 September 06 22:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rae

We are looking for a Cecelia Morrell (ms Cairney/Kearney) who is reputed to be buried in a vault on the Abercairney estate at Creiff sometime between 1867 and 1873. I think she may have lived in Crieff itself as she was visited by her grand daughter there in 1867.
We have little information about her, we believe she was born in Ireland  about 1790, so she must have lived a grand age, but why she was buried in a vault, no one knows! We havent found her in any census either, we have no idea of occupation and her sons all moved away. Her husband was Francis Morrel and we have no info on him either. One son went to Ayrshire and the other went to Lanarkshire.
If you could see, when you have some time, if you are able to find them , or any other Morrels (There must be more), it would be most appreciated. we are not that far from Crieff, being in Dundee and it would be nice to see if they are actually up there somewhere or maybe its all just family stories!

Thanks again Rae

Julia
Dundee, Scotland
We also looked at the Pre 1855 inscriptions in Dundee Library last week, but I dont remember finding Cecelia or Francis in any of the Perthshire books, so now we are sort of stuck.

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 October 06 13:40 BST (UK) »
Sorry, there are no Morrells buried in Perthshire in the book. I tried all the permutations More, Mores etc but the only one that mentioned a similar name as Cecelia's was a burial in Aberdalgie, Kirkton of Mailer - " John Murray esq of Cordon d. 17.4.1841, 66, son Jas ewq of Cordon d 7.7.1842, 23, wife Cecil Easton d. Tarsappie 12.7. 1859, 79yrs". I know this probably is of no use but just thought I'd mention it.
In the notes section of Fowlis Wester it says:
"S.R.O.  GD24 Abercairney [Moray & Drummond] muniments section v  includes Estate Papers [see Kincardine {South Perthshire vol 2} inscription 134"
Hope you have some luck soon.
Rae
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cline: Ireland and Berwick on Twieed
Collin: Eyemouth
Clyne: Ireland, Berwickshire, Northumberland
Barns, Barnes: Fife
Walker: Edinburgh & Stirling
Laing, Wilson, Forrest, Forrester, Colven, Rae, Cowe, Buglass, Johnson, Wilson, Thorburn, Darling, Broomfield, : Berwickshire
McRaw, Cameron, Taylor, Gould/Guild, McIntyre, Maxton, McDonald, Douglass : Perthshire
Cormack, Campbell, Sutherland, Doull: Caithness