Author Topic: Help with lunatic Allsop died Manchester - COMPLETED THANKS 1818  (Read 2943 times)

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with lunatic Allsop died Manchester 1818
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 27 September 06 00:33 BST (UK) »
Is this him? Have you seen this record?

Administration letter of John Allsop, Miller of Darleigh, Derbyshire.
Proved in the Court of Lichfield. 
Date October 16 1806
Catalogue reference IR 26/356 

If it is him there is an administration of his estate, the record of which is presumably with Lichfield Record Office. The information in Administrations are much more limited than wills. Administrations don't necessarily happen in the same year someone dies - neither are wills always proved immediately.
This administration generated Death Duty Records (held in The National Archives). The reference I've given is to that Death Duty Record which can be ordered from the TNA and sent to you electronically.

If you have no experience of Death Duty records you may want to read The National Archives research guide before you consider ordering the document from them.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/researchguidesindex.asp?j=1

scroll down to 'Death Duty Records from 1796' and you will find the necessary information.

If you do chose to order, the other research guide 'Death Duty Registers, How to Interpret' is useful for the abbreviations found in the registers.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kayzee

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 27 September 06 09:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks Valda, the John Allsop you mention is actually the son of the John & Hannah we were discussing. He died shortly after inheriting his father's estate at the grand old age of 26! I do have the administration for him but know nothing of death duty registers so will look into that shortly. Thanks again for your trouble.
Alsop/allsop,Debanks,Pidock, Nevill, Milward,Loxley,Holmes,Wall,Garton,Lowe,Shepherd,Lintott

Offline Kayzee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 27 September 06 20:45 BST (UK) »
Have tried the link for the TNA advice leaflets but apparently my 'cookies are not enabled'! Not sure what I'm supposed to do about that but my cooking skills have never been criticised before!
Alsop/allsop,Debanks,Pidock, Nevill, Milward,Loxley,Holmes,Wall,Garton,Lowe,Shepherd,Lintott

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 27 September 06 20:57 BST (UK) »
The TNA home page

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Hover over 'research education and online exhibitions' on the red bar.
Click on 'research guides' from the drop down menu.
Click on 'records research guides'.

You are now back to my original instructions. I'd put the research guides into your favourites. There is some very useful information there on a wealth of topics - though largely to do with records at least partially found at the TNA.

If you want to order the Death Duty record you need to go to

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/

Click on 'advanced search' (left hand side)
Type in John Allsop and click search
Click on 'Death Duty registers' and then see details for the correct John Allsop.
Click on 'add to shopping' and then 'checkout' and then follow the payment instructions.

Regards

Valda

Offline Kayzee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 05 October 06 19:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks Valda for your help with the death duty register info. I'm sorry I've been so long replying but got waylaid by other message boards (where you have been a great help also!) and the complexity of the TNA information. I didn't know that the IR reference was anything to do with death duties but had stumbled across John the millers admin record at documents online  before but decided that as I already had the admin it would tell me no more. Having read the leaflet I was still undecided but thought if I didn't try it I'd never know so finally 'bit the bullet' today only to find it gave no more detail which was disappointing. However reading the info has explained why another Allsop is listed on the DDR for 1895 but that the details have not been filled in, I think it must mean that he left less than £1500. I still don't understand why John the miller gets his admin on documentsonline when you consider that there were many more Allsop wills proved & he appears to have left less than £300. I don't think I'll ever really understand the process of probate & death duty records unless they bring out a guide for pre-schoolers!
        Many thanks for your help yet again.

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 05 October 06 20:46 BST (UK) »
From 1796 legacy, succession and estate duty ('death duties') were payable on many estates in England and Wales over a certain value. This value changed over time. As the scope of estate duty was extended throughout the nineteenth century, so more people were included. Before 1805, the registers cover about a quarter of all estates: ....
Tax was not payable on bequests to people within a closely defined family circle, and as a result the family relationship was often noted in the registers. In 1796, tax was not payable on bequests to offspring, spouse, parents and grandparents. In 1805, the exemption was restricted to spouse and parents.

If all the bequests were to those related within the accepted family group for the particular date they were exempted there was no tax payable and therefore no Death Duties and so no entry in the Death Duty Register.

The TNA Death Duty index online is incomplete. More information here.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/death-duty.asp

I don't quite understand your Allsop reference to 1895?

Regards

Valda

Offline Kayzee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 08 October 06 19:18 BST (UK) »
I'm sorry Valda that my reference to an 1895 entry on the death duty register was confusing. I shall attempt to clarify! I have detail of an Alsop who died in Hertfordshire in 1895 where the only filled in columns are name, date of death & between the executor & registry columns is written the name of his wife with what appears to read Fo8/16000. No other columns were filled in so I assume from the TNA leaflet that all was left to his wife & as such no duty was payable.

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 08 October 06 20:18 BST (UK) »
I'm impressed you got hold of an 1895 Death Duty register - they are not microfilmed and you have to give three days notice for them to be sent from the Hayes respository to Kew before you can see them. They are very large black and rather dusty books.
I haven't accessed myself one so late, though I have sent for books in the 1860s.

Regards

Valda

Offline Kayzee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 09 October 06 20:40 BST (UK) »
Don't be impressed. Someone else researching my line sent me the detail a while ago & asked if I knew how we could find out more, but as I didn't know anything about death duties it was left in the 'too hard' box! I think he had the detail from a pay per view site of some sort. I shall try to find out.