Author Topic: Help with lunatic Allsop died Manchester - COMPLETED THANKS 1818  (Read 2944 times)

Offline Kayzee

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with lunatic Allsop died Manchester - COMPLETED THANKS 1818
« on: Friday 22 September 06 22:48 BST (UK) »
Hannah Allsop nee Holmes was declared a lunatic by her husband in 1802. They lived in Darley Dale, Derbyshire at the time but she died in Manchester in 1818 although the family continued to live in Derbyshire. Was she in an assylum? Are there any sources for assylums at that time? Would the family have paid to keep her in an assylum? I'd love to know if she was admitted in 1802 or was she looked after at home until nearer 1818. Any help or advice appreciated.
Alsop/allsop,Debanks,Pidock, Nevill, Milward,Loxley,Holmes,Wall,Garton,Lowe,Shepherd,Lintott

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with lunatic Allsop died Manchester 1818
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 September 06 10:23 BST (UK) »
This website gives details of asylums which were in existence in 1844 and afterwards including Manchester asylum.

http://www.mdx.ac.uk/www/study/4_13_TA.htm#Cheshire%20and%20Lancashire

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kayzee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 September 06 11:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks Valda for that link. It would seem as though the family would have had to pay to keep her there if she was actually in an asylum. Shame death certificates had not been brought in 20 years earlier or even 100 years! Many thanks for your reply.
Alsop/allsop,Debanks,Pidock, Nevill, Milward,Loxley,Holmes,Wall,Garton,Lowe,Shepherd,Lintott

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 September 06 11:40 BST (UK) »
Her burial may give you further information.

Regards

Valda

Offline Kayzee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 September 06 14:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks Valda, but it just says died Manchester late of Farley. Sadly she was a wealthy young woman at the age of 23 when she married her 44 year old husband! Sad end after a promising start.
      Thanks Kayzee

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 September 06 18:19 BST (UK) »
Is Farley in Lancashire or Derbyshire?

If Hannah came from a wealthy family have you checked for family wills which might mention her?

What evidence do you have her husband declared her a lunatic in 1802 (by the way lunatic in C19th terms could mean - post natal depression, epilepsy and depression and religious mania from such causes as terminal TB (wouldn't you be depressed)? It doesn't necessarily mean a serious mental illness in today's terms. My great aunt suffered post natal depression from the birth of her first and only child in 1919 and was placed in an asylum until she died in the early 1940s. Women with post natal depression were still receiving electric shock treatment to my knowledge in the 1908s, so I wouldn't presume too much from the word 'lunatic' in an 1802 diagnosis.

Regards

Valda

Offline Kayzee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 September 06 08:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your thoughts Valda, Hannah's youngest child was 13 in 1802. Farley is very close to Darley Dale where the family lived. Hannah was declared a lunatic in an oath sworn by her husband which was attached to her father's will, & basically I think he & her brother were taking her name off any rights or interest in the estate of her father. Her husband died the following year. Although her father seemed to think her inheritance would last for 500 years, I think perhaps it was all spent by 1802 but I don't know how to prove it. Her brother appeared to be arranging some sort of mortgage anyway but the legal jargon is all a bit beyond me.
            Kayzee

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 26 September 06 19:57 BST (UK) »
Was John Allsop a miller?

Regards

Valda

Offline Kayzee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 26 September 06 20:48 BST (UK) »
Yes, he was.