Author Topic: sullivan machine company  (Read 7808 times)

Offline snowolf

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
sullivan machine company
« on: Saturday 23 September 06 22:35 BST (UK) »
hello ,
 just wondered if anyone knew anything about ...Sullivan Machine co, that was around in the early 1900's  in Claremont ,new Hampshire .

Is it still in existance ? what did they make ?
 thanks
 snowolf
"Durward"... (logie-pert, Dundee, Scotland,& Sydney ,Australia ,New Hampshire , U.S.A ).  "Johnston"..(Logie-pert, "Smith".."Arbuthnott/ monifieth/Montrose/laurencekirk , Scotland) "Kennedy"..(Dundee,Comrie) Scotland  & Australia. "Marshall"..(alloa, Clackmannanshire , Scotland). 
" Myles".. ( Scone, Perthshire , Scotland).
"Edward".. (Kincardneshire ,Dundee,Scotland),  Taylor..(Garvock,Kincardineshire,Scotland) , "Young"..(Kincardineshire),Scotland.
"Robertson"..Perthshire ,Scotland)

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile

Offline johnnyboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: sullivan machine company
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 September 06 06:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Snowolf: According to my newly acquired encyclopedic knowledge of Sullivan Machine, the company made drilling, mining, and quarrying equipment. It changed its name to Sullivan Machinery in some unknown year, and it had a branch in Chicago. In 1930, Sullivan Machinery bought a Pennsylvania company, Joy Brothers Co.,which manufactured coal mining equipment. Sullivan employed Joseph Joy, the founder of Joy Brothers as a manager in Claremont. At some point, Sullivan seems to have merged with another Joy company. A warehouse in Claremont was sold in 1967 to the city of Claremont. The successor company was Joy Manufacturing, which is still in business as a subsidiary of Joy Global.

I've attached a PDF of a post card that shows Sullivan Machinery in Claremont circa 1909.

I think it's very appropriate that I answered this post. One of my grandfather's was a coal miner in the U.S. for thirty years, and my father was a machinist who repaired coal mining equipment, including equipment made by Joy Manufacturing and perhaps also made by Sullivan Machinery.

Hope this helps,
John

ENGLAND (all Yorkshire but one)
SLATER: Ovenden, Halifax, and Massachusetts
DOBSON, LONGBOTTOM: Thornton (Bradford)
DRURY: Darton, Halifax, and Massachusetts
NEVIL(LE): Wigan (Lancs.), Darton
MEGSON: Dewsbury, Ossett
GARSIDE: Woolley, West Bretton

SCOTLAND
ROBERT HENDRY: b. 1856, Who-knows-where-shire, Scotland; 1882 to US
DEMPSTER, HOUSTON: Lesmahagow, Glasgow, and Massachusetts
GALBRAITH, MEIKLE: Kirkmichael, Ayr.; Hamilton, Glasgow, and Massachusetts

Offline snowolf

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 September 06 13:05 BST (UK) »
wow! thankyou genealiza and johnnyboy  for the information,
it was very much appreciated
 snowolf
"Durward"... (logie-pert, Dundee, Scotland,& Sydney ,Australia ,New Hampshire , U.S.A ).  "Johnston"..(Logie-pert, "Smith".."Arbuthnott/ monifieth/Montrose/laurencekirk , Scotland) "Kennedy"..(Dundee,Comrie) Scotland  & Australia. "Marshall"..(alloa, Clackmannanshire , Scotland). 
" Myles".. ( Scone, Perthshire , Scotland).
"Edward".. (Kincardneshire ,Dundee,Scotland),  Taylor..(Garvock,Kincardineshire,Scotland) , "Young"..(Kincardineshire),Scotland.
"Robertson"..Perthshire ,Scotland)

Offline Ohio writer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 January 13 07:53 GMT (UK) »
Photocopy of a photograph (original print in the collection of the Claremont Historical Society) 1906, photographer unknown MEETING OF THE SULLIVAN MACHINE COMPANY SALES MANAGERS DURING THE WEEK OF 16 DECEMBER, 1906. AMONG THE CLAREMONT MEN PICTURED ARE H.C. BERKEY, MINING ENGINEER (first row, first on left), ALBERT BALL, CHIEF ENGINEER (third from left, first row), THOMAS OFFICER, SUPERINTENDENT (second from right, first row), GEORGE BATEMAN, PURCHASING AGENT (first row, far right), AND J.D. UPHAM, TREASURER (second row, third from left). - Sullivan Machinery Company, Main Street between Pearl & Water Streets, Claremont, Sullivan County, NH
•   Medium: 4 x 5 in.
•   Reproduction Number: HAER NH,10-CLAR,7--11
•   Rights Advisory: No known restrictions on images made by the U.S. Government; images copied from other sources may be restricted. (http://www.loc.gov/rr/print/res/114_habs.html)
•   Call Number: HAER NH,10-CLAR,7--11
•   Repository: Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print
•   Place:
o   New Hampshire -- Sullivan County -- Claremont
•   Latitude/Longitude: 43.37667, -72.34722
•   Collections:
o   Historic American Buildings Survey/Historic American Engineering Record/Historic American Landscapes Survey
•   Bookmark This Record:
http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/nh0127.photos.104561p/

Offline Ohio writer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 January 13 08:03 GMT (UK) »
History of that company.

Offline Candyce

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 April 15 21:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you, all of you, for this information.  My great-grandfather also worked for Sullivan Machine Company during the first third of the 1900s.  What you have all added here is invaluable information.

Offline seashelli

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 28 October 16 23:52 BST (UK) »
My Great Great Grandfather was also employed at Sullivan Machine.  In the 1900 census of Claremont NH it states he is a machinest.  By the 1910 census it states he has no employment.  I believe during those 10 years is when my GG Grandfather lost his arm during an accident at the shop.  My Grandfather told me that went back to work and made him a Janitor.  They also gave him a brand new $50 dollar bill. 

I am so happy to find information on the company.  I would love to see more pictures or read more info.

Thanks for posting

seashelli