Author Topic: Poland to Germany to Australia: Sledz  (Read 1264 times)

Offline Lilster

• RootsChat Extra
  • What will we pass on to our descendents?
    • View Profile
Poland to Germany to Australia: Sledz
« on: Monday 25 September 06 03:34 BST (UK) »
Looking for some guidance please- I have a death cert for Regina Genowefa Kabar (nee Sledz). From it I know that she was born in Poland and married in Germany. Any advice on how to proceed?
Many thanks,
Lilster
Orange NSW, WHITE Thomas & Eliza Pointer
Orange NSW SPRATT Family- Edwin and Ellen
Shropshire/ Stafforshire, ELLKS/ ELKS/ ELKES
Trevithick / Candy / Geddes / Rixon / Austen

Offline CuriousDiana

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Poland to Germany to Australia: Sledz
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 September 06 05:22 BST (UK) »
If you have a look at the National Archives of Australia website www.naa.gov.au then click on "search as a guest" , then enter "Regina Kabar", you will get the following:
Zygmunt Kabar born 25.4.1920, Regina Kabar born 21.6.1924, Krystyna Kabar born 1/1/1944

The date of the record is 1949, and may be a naturalization record. Or they may have been 'displaced persons' emigrating to Australia. If so, it may contain the sort of information you want e.g. place of birth, parents, etc.

Click on "request copy" and fill in information then asked of you.  If the material is available it will take about 4 - 6 weeks to appear on the website FREE OF CHARGE.  You just have to periodically look up the original enquiry, and when you see a symbol stating that the record has now been digitized, you click on the symbol and the pages of the material relating to the Kabars will appear, and you can print them.

Offline Lilster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 September 06 06:38 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
I have done this (a few weeks ago).  I guess I am interested in now proceeding on how and where to order certs for her marriage and birth. It seems each place I have checked out is either in Polish or German!
Lilster

Offline CuriousDiana

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 September 06 10:23 BST (UK) »
I gather you know the place of birth and marriage as well as exact date, so why not apply to your nearest capital city Polish and German Consulates?  They should have application forms.  However, you will need to have the certificates translated when you receive them!

Offline tumutguru

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 December 08 13:56 GMT (UK) »
hello..my name is Kabar..Regina was my grandmother...my email ******  please message me for any info

Email address removed in accordance with RootsChat's Privacy Policy.  Please use our secure Personal Messaging system to exchange private information.

Offline Lilster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 January 19 23:04 GMT (UK) »
I now have discovered that Regina Genowefa Śledź was born 21 JUN 1924 in Rajsko, Kalisz, Poland. I have tried contacting the Polish consulate to no avail, as I would desperately love to track down a birth certificate or other information about Regina's parents. Regina married Zygmunt Kabar in Germany, however I am having difficulty finding a trace of this due to language barriers. Zygmunt worked as a linotypist on newspapers and was arrested and imprisoned after fighting with the Polish partisan army. He was taken to Berlin to work in factories during the second world war. It occurred to me that Regina may have been previously married, but this marriage would have had to have been to someone with surname Śledź and between 1940-44. Although this is unlikely, it is still a possibility. I would greatly appreciate any further help that anyone can provide. It is said that Regina came from a family of 12 siblings.