Author Topic: Missing Marriage and Baptisms at Manchester Cathedral?  (Read 899 times)

Offline brer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Shh! Be very, very quiet... I'm hunting forebears!
    • View Profile
Missing Marriage and Baptisms at Manchester Cathedral?
« on: Tuesday 26 September 06 09:49 BST (UK) »
Hi

Firstly, I'm trying to find a marriage for Thomas SEVERS (1813) and Mary ? (1815)

Thomas was from London but Mary from Gorton near Manchester. They had their first child (I think) in 1839 - I'm missing some baptisms though (all children born in "Manchester") - see below. Thomas' sister Martha was married at Manchester Cathedral a couple of the children's baptisms are also there. all if but I am missing these ones -

Emma SEVERS 1839
Ann SEVERS 1840
Edwin SEVERS 1843
JR SEVERS 1848

and then I have the baptisms of

Thomas SEVERS - 17/08/1856
Louisa Isabella SEVERS - 01/01/1854

Both at Manchester Cathedral.

Any help would be very much appreciated

Thank you

~ Claire
BRADBURY, BAYLEY, WINTERBOTTOM, HOLMES, BRUCE, ROBINSON, ANDREW (All Cheshire/Lancashire area.)<br /><br />HOYLE (Yorkshire), GRAY (Bedford), HORLEY (Bedford), RENSHAW, WILDE, MEREDITH, BRIDGEHOUSE and SUGDEN (Cheshire/Lancashire)<br /><br />BATE, BATES, HEARSUM (Essex), HALLOWS, LANGFIELD, HAGUE, TRAVIS, COOPER, ALLEN, MACE (Cheshire, Lancashire)

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Marriage and Baptisms at Manchester Cathedral?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 September 06 11:59 BST (UK) »
FreeBMD has Emma registered Q2 1839, Ann Q1 1841 and Edwin Q3 1842, which should narrow down the searches.

In the 1851 image the J in JR might just be a T - it might have been used to differentiate between him and his father. The enumerator's writing is not good enough to make it out.

Either way there is no matching entry in FreeBMD, which claims to have the relevant period sorted. It seems the family had not got this new-fangled registration thing sorted out.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.