Author Topic: Roscommon bride in Huntingdonshire  (Read 3240 times)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Roscommon bride in Huntingdonshire
« on: Thursday 28 September 06 08:58 BST (UK) »
I'm searching for the marriage of Jane, surname unknown, born c 1824 in Roscommon, and Richard Fairey born c 1821 in Brampton, Huntingdonshire. I have been unable to find a record of their marriage in Hunts, and am wondering whether they married in Ireland.  I am assuming that their marriage would have taken place 1844+, but it could have been much later, as their oldest child Joseph was born in c 1858, and maybe he was named after Jane's father, since Richard's father was almost certainly Benjamin.

This is all the information I have, taken from the 1861 and 1871 census records for Brampton.   I know it's not much, but if anyone has marriage records they could check, at least one option could be resolved, so here's hoping... :D

Gill
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Roscommon bride in Huntingdonshire
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 February 08 04:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello Gill,

What denomination were Jane and Richard? Were they  members of the Catholic faith, the Established Church (Anglicans or Church of Ireland), Methodists or Presbyterians?

You may have to rely on Church records as civil registration in Ireland was not introduced until 1864. Non Catholic marriages were registered from 1845 onwards. When registration for BDMS started in 1864 some people didn't bother with the registration for a few years after that date. Keep your fingers crossed that church records still exist.

If you've made no progress to date and you've not done so already a letter to the Editor of the Roscommon Herald might produce a result. Family history queries are occasionally published in local newspapers. www.roscommonherald.ie/general/contact.asp

Christopher

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 February 08 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello Christopher

I'm afraid I don't know for sure what their denomination was, though I think it may have been a mixed marriage.  Richard does not appear on the 1851 census, and the suspicion is that he was perhaps serving in the military, possibly in Ireland, met his bride there and brought her back to Hunts.  Their son Joseph was baptised in the parish church of Brampton on 9 Aug 1857.  Interestingly Joseph did marry a Catholic girl, daughter of Irish immigrants, in Lancashire. 

Thanks for your interest and for the helpful suggestion about the Roscommon newspaper.

Regards,

Gillg

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Rosie989

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 February 08 05:13 GMT (UK) »
Dear Gill

I have been researching the Fairey family from Bedfordshire for a while. 
The Benjamin Fairey I have on my tree was born abt 1801 and was married to Mary Gill and then Elizabeth Lowe.

I have nine children from the first marriage (excluding Richard) and five from the second marriage.

What intrigued me about your message post was that you state that Richard's father was named Benjamin.  There was no mention of a Richard on the 1841 census but was obviously old enough to have left home.

I had already tracked Richard through the census and note that his wife was born in Roscommon.  Only found them on 1861 and 1871 census.  No record on the 1881 census, although there are two death entries in 1876.

Have you located the marriage of Richard and Jane ?
I have found one possible entry.

Only two days ago did I delete Richard from my tree as I could not find a connection.

I have no way of confirming if this Richard is the son of the Benjamin on my tree.  Can you confirm any of the above regarding family members.

Many thanks

Jo

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 February 08 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jo, and welcome to Rootschat.

I'm delighted to meet another Fairey researcher (and I'm not the only one on Rootschat!).  Certainly there are Bedfordshire connections in my crew, but most of mine are from Huntingdonshire.

I first came across this family when I found a Joseph Fairey marrying a girl from my own home town in the north of England in 1876, and was intrigued to find out where he fitted into the picture.  Since Joseph is a common name in the family, this took some searching, but I finally placed him as the son of Richard and Jane in Brampton.  I found a Richard in 1841, but not with Benjamin and the rest of his children, but he did have a brother John who was living with Richard and Jane in 1871.  I tracked these back to the children of Benjamin, who was born in Halifax (there is a Yorkshire Fairey clan, too) c1801.  Like you, I found his two marriages.  However, I don't have Richard's baptism to confirm that he was definitely Benjamin's son.

After all this, I was unable to make a connection with my own Faireys.  It was just curiosity which led me on.

If you would like to see all the information I gathered on this family and talk about the other Faireys in Beds & Hunts, please send me your email address in a Personal Message.  You can do this by clicking on the scroll or S-shaped symbol on the left hand side of the page under my name.  No one else will be able to read the message, so your address is safe from spam.

Regards,

Gill