Author Topic: Newbie in Despair! Pencarreg Birth  (Read 3522 times)

Offline Jan White

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie in Despair! Pencarreg Birth
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 13 January 22 14:37 GMT (UK) »
When you search for information on Pencarreg its best to search both Carmarthenshire and Cardiganshire records.

This is because Pencarreg is on the border of Llanybydder [formerly spelt Llanybyther] and Lampeter, Cardiganshire.

If you need help with local geography, get back to me.

Offline CaioResearcher

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 14 January 22 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan
I've since found Benjamin's birth record in Llanybydder.  However, what attracted me to your kind reply was the name Ciblaidd.  I've seen it written different ways.  I am trying to understand the location.  Benjamin's parents, Thomas Davies and Margaret nee Jonathon as written on the birth entry were from Pencarreg although I'm not sure about mother Margaret.  A David Jones of Cilybilaydd signed as a witness in 1803 on their marriage; also their daughter Rachel had a witness to her marriage in 1834 of a John Evans, Ciblylaidd.  I'm wondering if it is the one and same?  I am  having trouble working back.   Margaret Jonathon could have been a 'Jones' initially.  Also a Timothy Thomas, Maes was a witness in 1803.  I've googled him.  Their daughter, Rachel, married a William Evans but I don't think its the same family.  If you have any other details on this Cilblaidd, it might help me in finding more info on Benjamin's parents Thomas Davies and Margaret Jonathon.  Many thanks

Helen

Offline CaioResearcher

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 14 January 22 12:25 GMT (UK) »
I noticed a David and Elinor Jones of Cilblaidd baptising a child in 1803.  Were there 2 families at this place? Jones and Evans

Offline Jan White

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 17 January 22 17:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi CILYBLAIDD suffers from translation from the Welsh Language.

It is pronounced Kill- Blaith.

DD in Welsh sounds like TH in English and there are otehr things going on with pronuciation too which is beyond my english ears!

My hubbies Granma and Greatgma worked for the Evans's at Cilblaiidd for about 25 years each, its a long standing thing. They were Margaret Jones born about 1852 and an Margaret Mary Jones [Maggie May] born 1891.

Our Jones's lived on the other side of the Lampeter to Carmarthen Road to Cilyblaidd. The land was given to them by the Evans's in about 1910.
If you look at the map for Pancarreg you will see Ty Lynn lake. Cilyblaith is to the right of the lake on the far side of the road.

Does this answer your question, if nt please email me on Removed

Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.

Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline CaioResearcher

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 04 February 22 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan,

Yes I know how it is pronounced and the different spellings over time.  Remember it got anglo-sized for example Killy Blaidd.  Anyway, I am trying to see if there is a connection between a David Jones and wife Eleanor of Cilblaidd and my ancestor as he appears on her marriage in 1803, Pencarreg.  I do  know that this David Jones had 3 children Thomas 1803, Mary 1806, William 1805.  Also, do you know if there are any Monumental Inscriptions for Pencarreg?? My ancestor was a Margaret Jonathan who married a Thomas Davies, Pencarreg in 1803

thanks Helen