Author Topic: Miltons in Merionethshire  (Read 1834 times)

Offline Ken Milton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Miltons in Merionethshire
« on: Saturday 30 September 06 12:54 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help to locate MILTON family members in Merionethshire in the period 1800-1880 (or earlier)?

I have found only two Milton references, in the 1841 Merionethshire Census on Ancestry.Com:

1.  A Milton family in Llanfawr (piece ref. HO 107/1430/13), all said to have been born in Merionethshire.

2. An Ellinor Milton in Llanelltyd, who may be related (ref. HO 107/1427/11).

I believe the family to be that of my 2x great-grandparents and their children, of whom I believe Isaac Milton to have been my great-great-grandfather.

However, after the 1841 Census the Merionethshire Miltons seem to have disappeared without trace! I cannot find them anywhere else in Wales in later Censuses and there are no birth, marriage or death entries for Isaac Milton in the GRO Indexes. Isaac was apparently deceased before December, 1879, when his son (my great-grandfather, John Milton) was married in Pontypool. [Isaac Miltons in London and the West Country can, I think, be discounted.]

Does anyone have  Merionethshire Parish or other Records that could be looked-up in the hope of locating this family or other Milton relatives? I've reached the infamous brick wall and don't know how to proceed further!

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Miltons in Merionethshire
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 September 06 13:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken

How does the problem appear if you look at it from the other end?  It is more usual to start in the present and work backwards, so if youhave got certs from some of the more modern BMDs that you know to be correct you can work backwards from there.

I see you have one marriage cert - can you post the witnesses and occupations from that please?

It looks as though you might have the family in 1881 from what you have posted - can you give us all the info you have, please?  Then we can have a search for you.

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Ken Milton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 October 06 10:58 BST (UK) »
Dear Arranroots,

Thanks very much for your reply.

I suspect that this will be a tough nut to crack but this what I have found so far, working back from my great-grandfather, John Milton.

John Milton

According to the 1881 census  for Glamorgan  (which is the earliest reference to him that I have found), John Milton was born in Carmarthenshire  circa 1856, but I can find no GRO record of his birth. A Carmarthenshire researcher tells me that up to 15% of births for this area were not recorded, so perhaps Parish records may hold the answer (particularly if he was illegitimate),  although a quick search of records to hand didn't turn up anything.

He was married at the age of 24 to Sarah Evans on 22 Dec 1879 at the Bethlehem Chapel, Pontypridd. He was described as a collier of Heolfach and was, I assume, illiterate as he signed with his mark. The marriage certificate (of which I have a copy) states that his father was Isaac Milton, a Labourer, deceased.  Sarah's father was Evan Evans, a collier (also deceased). The witnesses were Mary POOLE and William Andrews.

At the time of the 1881 Census, John was living at 1 Bryn Gwillym, Ystradyfodwg,  with his wife and daughter, Ann. 

His wife, Sarah, died in 1890 when the Miltons were at 2 Victoria Street, Ystradyfodwg.  In the 1891 Census, I located his two children lodging with cousins in Ystradyfodwg; but of John himself I can find no trace at all in the Census (I've tried variants and possible misspellings). He pops up again in the 1901 Census  at 13 Edmund Street, Ystradyfodwg, sharing two rooms with his son, Evan (my grandfather), and daughter, Ann. He is described as a Widower, aged 46, and his occupation is given as 'Underground Colliery Horse Driver'. However, and frustratingly, the place - of - birth column for him is left blank!! (Why? I've never seen this before!) I cannot therefore get any confirmation that he was actually born in Carmarthenshire. [N.B. Coincidentally, there was another, younger John Milton living in Ystradyfodwg in 1901, but I traced his ancestry to the West Country and he does not appear to belong to my branch of the family.]

John Milton died  on 7th February 1907 at 11 East Road, Tylorstown Urban District and was buried in the family plot in Trealaw Cemetery, Rhondda. His wife, daughter Ann, and two other children who died in infancy are also buried there.

Isaac Milton

As for my great-greatgrandfather, Isaac Milton, I drew a complete blank for many years. There are only a couple of Isaac Miltons in the censuses for England, who don't seem to 'fit'. and I could find nothing at all in Wales. Then, earlier this year, I had a look at the newly available 1841 Census for Wales on the Ancestry Com site and found him, I think, aged 6, living in Merionethshire.with his parents (father John Milton, an ag.lab.)) and two siblings. The Census states that all were born in Merionethshire.   I am ASSUMING that they are my ancestors because (a) the name is quite distinctive and this is the only Isaac Milton I have ever found in Wales and (b) his age is about right if John Milton was born c.1856. However, after 1841, the family disappears off the map!! I can find no record of any of them in the 1851, 1861 or 1871 Censuses for England and Wales.  So I cannot link this family to my great-grandfather  -  particularly as I  can find no marriage certificate or death certificate for Isaac Milton in the GRO, having searched every year from 1841 until 1879, by which time we know he was deceased.  Could the family, I wonder, have trooped off to Ireland for a period {Holyhead wasn't too far away} But if John WAS born in Carmarthenshire (which I am now beginning to doubt), they must have returned to Wales at some stage.

Finally, an aunt of my father drew a lovely red herring across my path by saying some fifty years ago that she'd heard that John Milton came from Scotland and was said to wear a kilt (highly unlikely down a Welsh coalmine, I think)!  However, a Scottish genealogist I consulted could find no trace of a Scottish John Milton with a father named Isaac in the relevant period; and the recently discovered 1841 Census information seems to disprove that theory, doesn't it?

So there you have it!   I would be interested in any thoughts you might have about further avenues of research. Milton was a fairly rare surname in Wales in the 19th century, although there were a few Miltons in the Cardiff/South Glamorganshire area that don't seem to tie in with my relatives.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 October 06 11:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken

I will have a good think about all this lovely information and I am sure others will too.

Concerning the red herring: at the last Welsh rugby international I attended last winter I was seated next to a chap from Carmarthenshire who wore the kilt and was keen to tell me that the Welsh invented in "300 years before the Scots".  Probably not appropriate for coal-mine though, as you say!  ;D

;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 October 06 14:23 BST (UK) »
Just to let you know that I have been looking without success so far - but then an instant answer wasn't very likely, given that you have done so much already!

At the moment my thinking is along the lines of - remarriage of John's mother & him living under her new married name (difficult to check when we don't even have a first name for her!) - or Isaac having another name (first and/or last) that he commonly used.

What did you make of the other, older John MILTON in Ystradyfodwg in 1881?

;)

Offline Ken Milton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 October 06 16:52 BST (UK) »

Hi A.,

Thanks for your efforts so far: very speedy, and I loved your story about the Welshman in a kilt!  ;D

The  Milton in Ystrad in 1881 was definitely my great-grandfather, living with his wife, Sarah, and daughter, Ann Jane. My grandfather, Evan John Milton was born to them in 1883.

The younger Milton, who lived in a different part of town(!) in 1891 had a wife Bessie and brother, William, whose birth I traced to Honiton. This family came from the West Country and don't seem to be related. (There was an Isaac Milton in the West Country who sired many children - but he lived until well after 1879, so I don't see how he could be my great-greatgrandfather.)

I don't know if this helps!

Ken

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 October 06 17:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken

Sorry to have missed you - I should have given a reference for the 80year old JM (a lodger) in Ystrad in 1881 - I wondered if you had traced him yet?

RG11; Piece: 5303; Folio: 52; Page: 27

I promise to get back to this, but have visitors just now.

A

Offline Ken Milton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 October 06 11:15 BST (UK) »
Hi A.,

Thanks for your latest.

I had spotted the 80 year old John Milton in Ystrad but had discounted him because he was born in Devonshire and died in 1883 aged 84. He doesn't therefore seem to have been related to my John Milton. [He appeared to be about the right age for my great-great-great-greatgrandfather, but the 1841 Census says that John Milton was born in Merionethshire.]

Incidentally, clutching at straws, I did find a 'J.M.' in the 1861 Wales Census aged 8 and living in the workhouse at Llandingat, Carmarthen (ref.R.G. 9/4122, p.28). But I don't know how one would go about confirming who this  was.

I'm thinking of presenting an engraved cup to anyone who can make  progress!

I have a photo of John Milton, which must date from the mid-late 1870s (the only possession of his that I have) but cannot work out how to include it in this posting!