Author Topic: Lewes sussex lookup if possible please  (Read 4220 times)

Offline dawnwas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Lewes sussex lookup if possible please
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 04 October 06 13:00 BST (UK) »
Wow what a team...and yes , I will never look at straws in the same light again! ;D
thankyou chris 1066 and little Nell for the help....better to have a few possible links than none at all.I now live in Australia ( for the past 16 years) but loved to visit Brighton and even managed a trip to lewes...all so far away now...so many thank's again for your help  and interest ,thus far :)
Dawn
arthrell( cannockchase UK to Novascotia )faircloth uk,simmonds birmingham uk,Mason and Rodgers westmidlands uk.

Offline laele

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 12 November 06 03:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dawn
I was just wandering in the sussex page and your query sparked my interest for the mention of Lewes.  (4xgr/grandad)   I don't know where in Australia you are, but if you're in Nsw, you could look up the shipping and bdm indexes.  I found a Henry Athrell died 1881 Sydney, numerous Attrills (mostly girls!) b. in NSW and a John Attrell arrived 1842 on the Samuel Boddngton (reel 2144 p 192)
I got my best clues for my lot through the shipping records of assisted immigrants because they show parents names (if they were alive!).
You may be well ahead of me here, but if not, I hope this can help
Laele

Offline Philcandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 12 November 06 10:12 GMT (UK) »
I assume you have seen the detailed account of his second trial in Tasmania? It is reported under "Decisions of the Nineteenth Century Tasmanian Superior Courts (Published by the Division of Law, Macquarie University and the School of History and Classics, University of Tasmania) and can be accessed at:
http://www.law.mq.edu.au/sctas/html/1838cases/RvRegan,1838.htm

Kind regards

Philip Candy

Offline dawnwas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 26 December 06 05:02 GMT (UK) »
Dear Candy and laele and anyone that has helped and not been thanked! ( trouble with a new computer :(,so have been away from the site for ages)
Philcandy...I will see if your info tells me anything new..many thanks :D
Iaele....now I have to see how these individuals fit into what I have already got...thank goodness for xmas holidays eh? :D
arthrell( cannockchase UK to Novascotia )faircloth uk,simmonds birmingham uk,Mason and Rodgers westmidlands uk.

Offline johnric

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 04 December 10 18:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

My cousin Lyn went to Oz recently and came back with a whole load of documents relating to James's transportation and execution which I can dig out and send if you want. Hard to find him in Lewes, but I've got bits on that too... somewhere...

Also last week, in the rain, but before our heavy snow, I drove the 10 miles from here to Fletching to see my direct gt.gt.gt. grandfather Daniel Hattrell's grave; he fought at Waterloo and I've got quite a bit on him now since discovering the link a fortnight ago.
..Attrell..Hattrell..Atherall, etc seem to be the variants these poor illiterates (Daniel was) used to go by. My side of the family (i was born in Brighton & mum was an Attrell) seem to spring from Isfield/Fletching/Lewes.. all close to me now.

John Richardson