Author Topic: James Hodgson b1783c, died Oct 1851 Preston Lancs. A skeleton in the cupboard.  (Read 2028 times)

Offline forshaw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
There is a skeleton in the family wardrobe here, if I can ever sort it out.
I am trying to find information on my GGGGrandfather and his family.... James Hodgson b1783c, was a brick maker. He died 27 Oct 1851 in Ribbleton Lane, Preston. Joseph Hodgson from Mill Street Preston, was present at his death. I think Joseph was James' son. I can't trace James in 1841 or 51 censuses. I found James' name and occupation on my GGGrandmother's Alice Hodgson's b1805 Preston and William Wrennall marriage cert. They married late in life in 1864 at St Wilfrid Church Preston, after having lived together for over 23 years. From all this, I think Alice and Joseph are siblings. I think I have found their mother is probably an Ann Fisher. The only possibility I have found on LDS, to match all these details. 
Alice Hodgson above, had 3 children. In the 1841 census, she was living as a widow, working for William Wrennall married, a butcher. As I have said, she went on to marry William. Her children all had her Hodgson surname, leading me to the conclusion they were illegitimate. They were baptized in St John Preston, only mother's name given. Richard Hodgson b1836, John Hodgson b1839 and My GGrandmother Betsy Hodgson (Elizabeth) b1840. Alice may have given widow as her status in the 1841.... But on her marriage to William the butcher, she was a spinster! Giving further evidence to her children having been illegitimate.
My GGrandmother Elizabeth Hodgson (above b1840,) married Richard Forshaw using the surname Reynolds (a variant of Wrennall) in 1858, at St John Preston. She also named William Reynolds (Wrennall) the butcher as her father. So I am uncertain at present if William was really her birthfather or stepfather.
Quite a puzzle to sort out. I can only conclude James Hodgson's daughter, Alice Hodgson, was an unmarried mother when she met William or the children were William Wrennall's but he couldn't marry Alice, because he was already married. He went on to marry Alice after they had lived together for over 23 years, when his 1st wife died. I don't know if I will ever find out exactly what occurred. I would love to hear from anyone with these names in their tree.
Archbald, Atherton Boardman, Bolton, Bowdler, Brown, Carmichael, Craig, Forshaw, Gray, Haig, Hall, Hodson/Hodgson, Hogg, Hudson, Millar, Murray, Pringle, Reynolds/Wrenalls, Shuttleworth, Swarbrick, Tait, Turner, White.

Offline JDGen

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Hodgson b1783c, died Oct 1851 Preston Lancs. A skeleton in the cupboard.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 October 06 17:34 BST (UK) »
I can see Joseph in 1851 at Mill St - HO107 2267/272 Page 30 - Do you already have this?

Jean
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

CHS: Barber(Tabley) Barlow(Antrobus) Blackshaw(Lymm, Mobberley) Blease/Done/Moore(G Bud) Owen(Netherton, Tabley) Spragg/Witter(Goostrey) Youd(Frodsham) Pennell Bankes Birchall Beckett
DBY: Higginbottom(Mellor)
HRT: Gurney
HRT/BED/ESS: Verney (Markyate St)
LAN: Davenport(Bolton) Schofield/Gurney(Oldham) Lord(Heap) Quinn(Manchester) Sutcliffe(Rossendale)
NTH: Tubb/Johnson(Hellidon)Brown(Kettering)
YKS: Scott(Clapham)

Offline forshaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: James Hodgson b1783c, died Oct 1851 Preston Lancs. A skeleton in the cupboard.
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 October 06 19:10 BST (UK) »
Yes I have it. Thank you so much for your trouble Jean. I have already found him and his wife Nancy. I can't find a suitable James Hodgson b1873c in 41 or 51. Mind you, it doesn't help that I don't know where James was born. I do know he died in Preston and his children were born in Preston.
I forgot to mention I have the MI for Alice and her husband William. Joseph and James jnr  (Another of Alice's siblings) with his wife Sarah. All  buried in the same plot in Preston Lancs. Once again there is no sign of James b 1783. I have details of all the Hodgson buried in that Graveyard and have come up with nothing on him.
Thank you once again for being so kind.
Pam
Archbald, Atherton Boardman, Bolton, Bowdler, Brown, Carmichael, Craig, Forshaw, Gray, Haig, Hall, Hodson/Hodgson, Hogg, Hudson, Millar, Murray, Pringle, Reynolds/Wrenalls, Shuttleworth, Swarbrick, Tait, Turner, White.

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 October 06 20:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Pam

This webpage:
http://share-hodgson.org/queries2.html

Has a query by a Mr Hodgson re:

James HODGSON born around 1783, possibly Wigan.
Appears have spent most life in Preston Lanc.
Died 27 Oct 1851 Ribbleton Lane age 68, occ: Brickmaker
Possible: 1851 Census: Ribbleton Street: James HODGSON Visitor U 60 General Labourer b Wigan, widowed 1851 having been married to Ann

Is this yours?

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline forshaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 October 06 21:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your message Ambly. Yes, he is my James Hodgson. That site has closed down earlier this year. I have left messages for the author Clive Hodgson, all over the message boards, hoping he will contact me. I found his message on rootsweb too, posted in 2001. I think all the email addresses I have found for him are out of date now, mores the pity. I am not only chasing dead Hodgsons, I am also trying to find one who is alive. LOL. I am not certain where James Hodgson b 1783 was born and have no evidence to support Wigan. If anyone out there knows more about James or suspect they know something of him. Please get in touch.
Many Thanks again for going to all this trouble for me. It is much appreciated.
Pam