Author Topic: romany/gypsies ireland  (Read 3412 times)

Offline rita47

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
romany/gypsies ireland
« on: Wednesday 04 October 06 15:50 BST (UK) »
Looking for any links for northern ireland romany/gypsies or how to trace them?

many thanks

Pauline 

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: romany/gypsies ireland
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 December 06 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Try Linenhall library catalogue on line and search under key word Gypsies. My 1950s memory of Annadale embankment before the college was built was almost a permanent gypsy or romany camp site on a large clearing in the rubble on the non riverside of the road.  Horses and donkeys etc were on the site, with the caravans [horse drawn] being grouped at sunset into a sort of defensive loop, with a bonfire in the middle of the opening into the loop.  When I worked in the LinenHall Library, Belfast in the sixties, I became friendly with an interesting visitor who I would occassionally encounter for about 3 years. He had asked very politely, but with difficulty in English, had  the library any  books on Gypsies, and I eventually had produced a book from the background non-irish stock about the Romany, I think it was published in the 1920s or earlier. He was of an ancient romany line and very proud that one of the library books had a picture of his grandmother as a young girl. However I cant recollect the book or his name.  I remember supplying a photocopy of the page to him.  I remember how proud he was of his own art in caravan decoration and showed me his small paintings of them. He had tried to explain to me how different it was in comparison to the styles used by the irish travellers. I introduced him  to Jack Loudan, a freelance journalist working principally for  the Belfast Telegraph , who may have written an article about him, and also he met the Rosenfied journalist sisters and Willie Conor, and of course Jimmy Vitty my greatly underestimated boss/librarian in the Chalet D'or.   Ask in the library for newspaper cuttings, and also ask at the Royal Avenue Belfast Central Library. Anyway sorry I cant help more now, Jim
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide