Author Topic: Whats going on here!!!!!  (Read 3610 times)

Offline galante

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Whats going on here!!!!!
« on: Monday 08 November 04 15:31 GMT (UK) »
On the 1881 census printout I have Arthur Bradshaw  age 44 married to Alice Bradshaw age 41.  I sent for the marriage certificate, having got the reference number and details under Bradshaw on 1837.  I did not get the certificate, as the GRO said the wife's name did not tally. I sent for one of the children's birth certificate, in order to get the wife's name, which turned out to be Jane nee Millington. I also have a second or maybe third marriage for Arthur in 1882 September to Martha Emma Goodwin,  who was only 21. I have this family on the 1901 census, and the children on the 1881 census are still at home, so that verifies things for me.  Who was Alice, did the transcriber make a mistake, as there was a child in the household also called Alice, or was this his second wife.

Arthur Bradshaw Head 44 Hanley Potters Foreman
Alice Bradshaw wife 42 Etruria Stafford Potters Paintress
Caroline Bradshaw daur 19 Burslem Potters Paintress
Alice Bradshaw daur 17 Burslem potters Paintress
Jane Bradshaw daur 15 Burslem Potters Paintress
Arthur Bradshaw son 11 Hanley Scholar
Herbert Bradshaw son 9 Hanley Scholar
Frances Bradshaw daur 7 Hanley Scholar

any ideas
Bowen hereford bradshaw chell toft henk staffordshire wilson skipton yorkshire

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Whats going on here!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 November 04 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Do you have the address in 1881? I could see if they were there in 1871, that might help...
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 November 04 16:34 GMT (UK) »
1871:

Alice Bradshaw 7  Cobridge, Staffordshire, England Daughter  Shelton  Staffordshire   
Arthur Bradshaw 34  Hanley, Staffordshire, England Head  Shelton  Staffordshire   
Arthur Bradshaw 2  Hanley, Staffordshire, England Son  Shelton  Staffordshire   
Caroline Bradshaw 9  Burslem, Staffordshire, England Daughter  Shelton  Staffordshire   
Jane Bradshaw 35  Longton, Staffordshire, England Wife  Shelton  Staffordshire   
Jane Bradshaw 5  Cobridge, Staffordshire, England Daughter  Shelton  Staffordshire   
Hannah Guatback 38  Hanley, Staffordshire, England Cousin  Shelton  Staffordshire 

Shelton, Staffordshire.
RG10/2866, Folio 58, Page 26

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 November 04 16:40 GMT (UK) »
& 1891.

Bradshaw, Arthur 53 N Head  Stoke upon Trent  Staffordshire   
Bradshaw, Arthur 22 Hanley, Staffordshire Son  Stoke upon Trent  Staffordshire   
Bradshaw, Frances 17 Hanley, Staffordshire Daughter  Stoke upon Trent  Staffordshire   
Bradshaw, Herbert 19 Hanley, Staffordshire Son  Stoke upon Trent  Staffordshire   
Bradshaw, Martha E 32 Stoke upon Trent, Staffordshire Wife  Stoke upon Trent  Staffordshire   
Bradshaw, Rose 6 Burslem, Staffordshire Daughter  Stoke upon Trent  Staffordshire   
Chapman, Ann 56 N Mother  Stoke upon Trent  Staffordshire   

18 Liverpool Road. Stoke upon Trent, Staffordshire.
RG12/2175, Folio 73, Page 26

Pauline

All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline galante

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 November 04 16:42 GMT (UK) »
In 1871 they were at 17 Clarence Street Hanley. In 1881 they were at Elder Terrace (Grove Street) Burslem, Stoke on Trent.

Offline BobtheBee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 November 04 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Can I suggest you might be looking at a (or even 2) small tragedy(s) here.

My Gt Grandfathers first wife died in childbirth. He remarried 3 years later and had 3 more children.
Scotland - Blaikie, Carr, Jamieson, Alexander, Chisholm
Nottinghamshire - Smith, Gabb, Simpson, Dyer
Gloucestershire - Gabb, Davies
Norfolk - Nelson
Northumberland/Durham - Davison, Scott
Wales - Shaw
USA - Pratt
Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Offline Carmela

• RootsChat Senior
  • Trixie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 November 04 00:53 GMT (UK) »
A quick look at FreeBMD, shows a Jane Bradshaw, age 39, died in the March Q. 1874, Stoke upon Trent. Vol.6b
Page 121
This may be your answer as to what happened to Jane.
If Jane was his first wife and died in 1874, that means that he must have remarried, some time between then and 1881. FreeBMD does have a marriage for an Arthur Bradshaw in Dec. Q 1880 Vol.6b P.309, but neither of the two women on the same page is called Alice. They are Ann Dawson and Anne Cranmer Leese(perhaps a widow?). It is possible that a woman with the first name of Anne was known by her second name, Alice. Or the name on the 1881 census could have been wrong. Perhaps as you suggested, confused with daughter Alice, but in reality an Anne. If there was an Anne or Alice, she must have died in the short period of time between the 1881 Census and the marriage to Martha in 1882.
FreeBMD does have one death of an Alice Maud Bradshaw
in Dec,Q 1881 Wolverhampton, but the age is 0, indicating that she was a baby.
Hope I have not created more confusion. Will give it more thought, but this is a really difficult question. Impossible if you can't find records to prove or disprove theories.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationararchives.gov.uk

Current obsessions:
OXF: Rose of Wheatley and Holton 1700s
BRK: Stevenson of East Hanney 1600-1880s
BKM: Woodman of Wing
DEV: Youlden of Whimple
SOM: Smith, Gudge, Joy and Tett of Crewkerne

Offline galante

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 November 04 15:20 GMT (UK) »
What can I do next - is there a way that I can view the original 1881 census to ascertain whether a mistake has been made in the transcription, or will it be necessary to make a trip to Stafford. Thanks everyone for your input, it does seem as he had two wives at least, and possibly a third, which I will work on.

Offline Adi1962

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 November 04 16:28 GMT (UK) »
I was told that the 1881 Census was commercially withdrawn due to poor sales, everyone used the LDS site.

But looking at the S&N site they show that they are taking advance orders.....might be worth speaking with them, might be they produce to order

Adrian
Currently researching
GODDEN, MARSH, WATERS & HUGHES Mid Kent
BUSHROD Mid Kent/Dorset,
FURMINGER Aylesford/Maidstone/Sittingbourne - Kent

visit http://www.Kent-opc.org

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk