Author Topic: John D or John Augden Humphrey.  (Read 3137 times)

Offline cheffings

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John D or John Augden Humphrey.
« on: Friday 06 October 06 04:39 BST (UK) »
I am trying to locate any information on John D or John Augden Humphrey.  His estimated date of birth is 1872 in Wales.  That is the only information I have.  A possible birthplace is Llanddwywe Uwch Graig, Merionethshire, Wales.  As far as I know for sure, he must have been in the US in 1914 as he had a daughter born in Oregon in 1914.  Any information would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Offline Peterej

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: John D or John Augden Humphrey.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 October 06 12:34 BST (UK) »
Hi

Here is the family in 1881 living at Glanmawddach(?) Cottage, Llanddwywo-Uwch-Graig

Griffith Humphrey      51     Agric Labourer
Cathrine                    51     Wassing(?)  labourer
Griffith                       27      agric               do
Richard                      16     (looks like 'turnot')
Gwen                         12     in school
John                            9         do 

all born in as above except Cathrine born Trawsfynydd

no sign in 1891. The information is freely available on the LDS website

regards

Peter
Jones, Edwards, Davies, Owen, Benjamin , Hughes , Roberts,Thomas,Williams, Wynne , Griffiths, Howells, Rowlands etc etc
plus
Thomas,Trewren,Holmes,Thirlwall,Jones again & again
& more

"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Peterej

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 October 06 12:59 BST (UK) »
sorry they are there in 1901 as Humphreys (with an 's') - same address

mum and dad aged 72 with her now born in Llanuwchyllyn
Jane aged 44 dressmaker born as per Dad
John          29 Miner in gold mines
Griffith        5  nephew born Dolgelley

and now in 1891 spelt Humphrys (no e)

mum and dad 62
Griffith      37  sawyer
Laura       34  (married but husband not home) born Llanelltyd
Hannah     6mos    granddaughter
John         19

I have rechecked that 1891 showed Laura and 1901 showed Jane same age
maybe she was Laura Jane

I think there is still a very small gold mine in the area

Peter

Jones, Edwards, Davies, Owen, Benjamin , Hughes , Roberts,Thomas,Williams, Wynne , Griffiths, Howells, Rowlands etc etc
plus
& more

Offline cheffings

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 October 06 17:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your efforts.  I do appreciate them.  Unfortunately I got some of the facts? wrong and have since received the corrections.  His parents were born in Wales but he was born in Pennsylvania.  So the hunt continues.  I guess it comes down to road trips at this point.  I don't think I'm going to be able to do much more via computer.  Thanks again.

Nancy

Offline Peterej

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 October 06 17:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Nancy

I don't quite follow your reply but will assume you do not require any further look-ups unless you reply to this.

Peter
plus
& more

Offline Dolgellau

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 February 07 20:33 GMT (UK) »
I don't know how I missed this message in October. I am related to most of the Humphreys' of Llanddwywe uwch y graig (The family mentioned by Peterej above include my great grandfather and great great grandparents) So I would be interested in any connection between your family and mine.

There is a John S (possibly D) Humphreys in the 1920 USA Census living at Salem Ward 6, Marion, Oregon His age is smudged, it is either 48, 45 or 43 (so estimated birth year: abt 1872 or 1875 or 1877). John was born in Pennsylvania; both his parents are from Wales
In the same household is Lula W, John's wife age 37 from Oregon
and 3 children, Sophia E aged 5, Jesse H aged 3 years 10 months and Norman P who is 2 years and an indecipherable number of months.

If John was born in the 1870's in Pennsylvania, he should be on the 1880 USA Census. The only one who seems to fit the bill is John H. Humphreys
Aged 9 (abt 1871) in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania the son of Roland (aged 43) and Harriett (aged 40) Humphreys. John also has a 5-year-old brother Frederick.

Harriett's unmarried sister Elizabeth Howes is also living with the family, so we can assume that Howes was Harriett's maiden name. Harriett's parents were both born in England

The 1900 Census says that Roland and Harriett emigrated in 1869 and had been married for 30 years, so they either married just before or just after emigrating and will not be found on a Welsh Census as a married couple.

If Roland and Harriett are the parents of your John, it doesn't look like the family hailed from Llanddwywe uwch y graig. The only Rowland Humphreys on the 1851 Wales Census born about 1837 is Roland the son of Edward & Margaret Humphreys aged 17 (or 19) in Trederwen Montgomeryshire.