Author Topic: Struggling to find Parish  (Read 2436 times)

Offline Yegvard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Struggling to find Parish
« on: Monday 09 October 06 13:08 BST (UK) »
Help please,

My elderly aunt tells me that on a marriage certificate of Martin LEO and Bridgid KEOGH dated 5th May 1869 the Diocese is Clonfort and the parish is Killincoll.  I can find no trace of such a parish. 

The parish priest was signed as "John P. Callanan."  The witnesses Wm Bernard and Teresa Burke.  The celebrant was not recorded, but pencilled in was "Father William Melvin."

Has anyone got any bright ideas on the parish, please?  At some time they lived in or near Loughrea.  Which I suppose  makes Kilreekill or Kilconnell a possibility.

Regards

Mike
HANDS, HANDES, HANNS, HANNES, HANNE, HANNON (Yardley to Bromsgrove)
 MIL(L)WARD, COTTERIL, CLULEE, IZOD, HASSALL, TODD, STRATTON, JAKEMAN, JENNINGS, MOLE, ALLCOCK PINFIELD north Worcestershire
WATERS, Thurzo, Sutherland> Bishopswearmouth, Durham
GARDNER, Solihull;
HUMPHRIES & HUMPHREYS, Meifod, Montgomeryshire>Bilston, STS> Manchester & Texas + Kansas, USA
JAKENS, BIRD, CRAPPER Bury, HIGGINBOTHAM, HORRIDGE, CUNDIFF, Lancs
LEO, Galway/Tipperary, & CARROLL, Carlow Ireland

Offline dikarch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Struggling to find Parish
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 October 06 16:44 BST (UK) »
The Diocese is actually Clonfert, which has its cathedral in Loughrea, and it sounds as if your parish might well be Kilconnell.I'll check around but I don't think the parish youmention exists. There may be confirmation of the marriage in the clonfert diocesan records, but I'm not sure if tyhey can be accessed on line. you might try old fashioned snail mail to a Fr Geraghty Clonfet Cathedral Loughrea co Galway, as he is the diocesan secretary :)

Offline Yegvard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 October 06 20:00 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for this.

I'll eagerly await you're checking around.  I will then snail mail.

Cheers

Mike
 MIL(L)WARD, COTTERIL, CLULEE, IZOD, HASSALL, TODD, STRATTON, JAKEMAN, JENNINGS, MOLE, ALLCOCK PINFIELD north Worcestershire
GARDNER, Solihull;
HUMPHRIES & HUMPHREYS, Meifod, Montgomeryshire>Bilston, STS> Manchester & Texas + Kansas, USA

Offline dikarch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 October 06 13:36 BST (UK) »
I  don't think there is such a parish, but it may indeed be the name of a townland. I'll check it out. The snail mail option is still probably the best for the diocese of of Clonfert. You might try googling www. clonfert as there is a good chance that there are other sites in the diocesse that might be of help. Dik

Offline Yegvard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 October 06 15:43 BST (UK) »
Just a thought.  Would being Church of Ireland (i.e. Protestant) make any difference to the diocese? 

Their daughter's marriage was to my grandfather, the son of an Armenian Orthodox Bishop.  Which being Orthodox is looked upon favourably by "both" sides.

Cheers

Mike
GARDNER, Solihull;

Offline dikarch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 October 06 16:43 BST (UK) »
Mike,
I googled, Clonfert myself and a whole pile of sites came up, including one for the ancient Clonfert Cathedral, which is one of the most famous old churches in the country and is situated in Clonfert itself.
This is still and active church and is the seat of the Church of Ireland Diocese, and if you rummage through the many sites there you'll  hit on one which proports to have acccess to parish records. I think that will be your best bet. there are so many Clonfert sites it may take you some time to find the one you need.
Good hunting, Dick