Author Topic: Trying to find  (Read 7711 times)

Offline ladybird

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Oh golly
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 28 June 08 10:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Bill
I have a Rebecca and William married c1866, sorry don't know where.
This is in a small gedcom that someone sent me, but I haven't searched this family too much as most of mine are Scottish. They are related somehow but it would be a real twig off my lot
Will PM you.
Sylvia
Main names:
Scotland (Travellers) - Townsend/Townsley, Conway, Stewart
Lanark and Stirling - Jeffrey.
Northumberland/ Durham - Newton, Nixon, Sharp, Greaves, Naters
Warwickshire and London - Garfield.
Ireland, Co. Kerry - Marah/Meara/Mara, McClure, Howard, Melvin
Lincs - Smith, Vinter

other offshoots - Berry, Steven, Craig, Atkins, Fuller, , Stewart, Conway, Heather,

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline babilula

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Townsley, Thomas Townsley
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 01 July 08 15:51 BST (UK) »
Thought I would try this message board, as I see Sylvia has Townsley Travellers in her list.
I am looking for Thomas Townsley who married 1st Jane Smith and then Esther Mullen. I have several different dates  given me for birth of Thomas so am trying to pin it down. Its somewhere between 1793 and 1805. His father was William.
Any clues or connections to this family please?

Offline RBcabal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 01 July 08 22:05 BST (UK) »
 I have him on my 'bucket' system - where I dump ALL the information from whichever source - married to Esther Mullen. Its not what I would call accurate since I havent researched him, but I have him as born 1818 in Midlothian.

However you might like to have a look at this site - which seems to be full of TOWNSLEYs, and has this couple listed.......
http://homepages.tesco.net/~townsleyb/TownsFH/html/index.htm     I havent really studied this site either, since its not exactly on my immediate main stem tree.

Hope it helps

Bill

Kelbie, Jamieson, Keith, Williamson, Cameron, Stewart, White/Whyte (Scottish Travelling Families)

Offline babilula

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 02 July 08 14:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks Bill & Sylvia,
I am familiar with Brian Townsley's site. That is similar. Not everything has been checked, but is't quite useful, and does have some of my family on there.

Offline Gumnut

• RootsChat Extra
  • Off the edge, but learning to fly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 15 July 08 14:17 BST (UK) »

I am working on a great number of the Scottish Travelling families - my late wife was a KELBIE and we started with her tree. The Travellers, however, tended to inter-marry, come out of the family and then marry back into the family a couple of generations later.

Bill Bailie

Hi Bill.

I stumbled across your reference to the KELBIE family above today and I would like to thank you for the mention of 'travelling families'.  That could explain a great deal as to why I'm having so much initial trouble locating my KELBIE line.

My GGrandmother was Maggie Findlay KELBIE (m. George Matthew McFARLANE, 25 Jun 1919)
Her parents were Francis KELBIE & Mary Ellen FINDLAY (m. 19 Mar 1894)
His parents: Michael KELBIE & Mary Ann DRUMMOND who had children in the 1860s in Elgin, Moray, Scotland.

The family was sighted in Perthshire and ended up in Dundee.

I know this is extremely brief info, and I do have more, but I thought I'd throw out this to see if it rings any bells.

Any help is greatly appreciated as although I'm just starting out on this line, it is proving a little challenging.

Best wishes,
Nutty
Adelaide, South Australia

Offline RBcabal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 15 July 08 15:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Nutty
This is exciting since you throw a little more light on Mary Ellen. I have her pretty well up to 1904 when she married a Thomas Traill in Lochee, Dundee - her second marriage. Then she disappears until her death in 1945 in Dundee. You must fill me in on this George Matthew McFarlane. And do you know what happened to Traill?

You also missed me by about a year since I was in Adelaide October last year - BUT I intend coming out again next year and visiting Adelaide. We do have mutual 'distant' cousins there who I stayed with.

My e-mail addy is     (*)       perhaps an exchange of information that way would be more private.

(*) email address removed in accordance with Rootschat policy

Best Wishes

Bill

Kelbie, Jamieson, Keith, Williamson, Cameron, Stewart, White/Whyte (Scottish Travelling Families)

Offline Megan26

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 22:25 BST (UK) »
HI , i notcied you had a james stewart in your senario,  i was wondering if you know if he had children,Helen, Andrew and other children and his wife or girlfriend was called Elsie stewart, thanks

Moderator's Note: please do not post details of anyone who might still be alive

Offline ryanking27

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 01 July 20 01:41 BST (UK) »
I'm currently on McArthur/Townsley line too through my grandmother's side.

Did anyone get the year when Mary McArthur died?

and also the date of her parent's birth & death (Anthony McArthur & Annie McLaren)?

Thanks in Advance,

Ryan.