Author Topic: HUISH Ancestors in Alverstoke  (Read 1465 times)

Offline chelsen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
HUISH Ancestors in Alverstoke
« on: Thursday 12 October 06 17:37 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone lives in the vicinity of Alverstoke.  I have discovered that my 7 x Great Grandfather Henry Huish, a former Burgess of Portsmouth, was buried in St Mary's Churchyard which I think is in Alverstoke.  He is said to be buried next to Mr Peachey on the North side in about 1718.  I have looked on St Mary's website and part of the churchyard was built on in the 1960's so it may not be there now.  Also his son, also called Henry Huish, Naval Officer, was buried in his wife Elizabeth Smith's family vault in 1750.
There were many generations of the Huish family in the Portsmouth/Gosport/Alverstoke area and many of them held the office of Burgess or Town Clerk.
I would love to know if the graves are still there.
Panton, Webley, Hinton, O'Connell, Magee, White, Huish, Meek, Wootten and Parslow amongst others

Offline Genegenee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: HUISH Ancestors in Alverstoke
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 January 07 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I know this Churchyard is now very small so perhaps you could email the Parish Clerk for info.  I have found Parish Clerks very useful.

Regards,

Jackie
Dawes - Surrey / Hampshire
Hibbard - Leckford
Coles - Portsea
King - Devon
Terlour - Falmouth
Sheaff - Folkestone area
Peachey - Gosport
Roche - Cork Shandon
Martin - Limerick
McCarthy - Cork
Edmunds - Bishops Waltham
Bird - Gloucester
Bicknell - Farnham

Offline chelsen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 January 07 09:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jackie, I have just arrived home from holiday to find your reply.  I will certainly take your advice.
Carole
Panton, Webley, Hinton, O'Connell, Magee, White, Huish, Meek, Wootten and Parslow amongst others

Offline zimnic

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 February 16 19:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, I hope you are still on rootschat. Just wanted to let you know that there is a family bible from 1676 that belonged to Henry Huish married to Mary daughter of James Denton (?) sons include Henry and George, Gosport is mentioned, for sale on Bidorbuy, an auction site here in South Africa!
Here is the link
http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/217658634/Antique_Holy_Bible_Printed_in_1599_Refurbished_over_400_years_old_as_per_photo.html
I am in no way affiliated to the seller but If this was related to my family I would have been over the moon! :)
Kind regards
nikki

Offline chelsen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 February 16 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Nikki for this information.  Yes, I still use Rootschat although I have not done any research on my Huish ancestors for some time.
I do have a Henry Huish married to a Mary (surname unknown) who had sons named Henry and George as well as a son James and daughter Mary.  This could fit in if Mary was Mary Denton.  I will follow the link and investigate further although I think buying something like this from the UK might prove difficult.
I am very grateful to you for drawing this to my attention.
Many thanks
Carole

Offline chelsen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 February 16 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Nikki
Just to let you know that I have looked at the bible on line and it is definitely my 7 x Great Grandfather, Henry Huish (1160-1718).  I have the year of birth of his children and that he died in 1718.  It all fits exactly.  His son George was my 6 x Great Grandfather.
Even if I can't bid for the bible (too expensive and too difficult to ship to the UK) I have been able to copy the photographs of the bible and add the new information to my database.
I am so very grateful
regards
Carole