Author Topic: Trading routes  (Read 2252 times)

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Trading routes
« on: Thursday 12 October 06 18:14 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know what cargo would be transported on boats/ships between Heybridge and Filey in Yorkshire or visa versa? I am interested in any link between the two places and coastal shipping.

Thanks

Margaret

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trading routes
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 October 06 18:37 BST (UK) »
I have 2 Victorian gazetteers - neither of them mention any industry or minerals associated with Filey but says that most folk earned their living from the fishing industry. Heybridge had a large iron foundry and made a great many agricultural implements.  8)
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Trading routes
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 October 06 19:28 BST (UK) »
That's really strange because my 3 x great grandmother came from Heybridge and I am not sure but I think either just before or just after her husband died they were living in Filey. Now I know that her husband was a sailor/mariner so I presumed that he was either born in Filey and travelled to Essex where he met her or she travelled to Filey.

I can understand her moving as a single person but not as a married woman to such a small fishing village.

Thanks anyway. It was a long shot in the first place. I will have to rethink ways to identify his birthplace.

Margaret