Author Topic: The House where my Mum was born  (Read 5000 times)

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
The House where my Mum was born
« on: Saturday 14 October 06 00:06 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone

I would appreciate your thoughts on this please:

The house that my Mum was born in (and her 9 siblings) still stands today, and over the past 6 months or so I have driven past it several times wondering how it looks inside today.

My question is:  Would it be rude to just literally knock on the door, explain about my Mum, and ask if it would be ok to look around

OR

Should I perhaps write a letter enclosing some family history details asking if would be possible for me to visit the house and, maybe, take some photographs.

Many thanks ;)

p.s.  The last time I was inside the house, when my Nan still lived there, would have been approximately 25 years ago.
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The House where my Mum was born
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 October 06 09:44 BST (UK) »
I would certainly knock on the door & explain who I was - but probably would wait to be asked to "look around inside". I did something similar - took a camera with me & asked if I could take a photo of the outside of the house. I was invited in and we had a lovely 30 min discussion of the history of the house.

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sallysmum

• RootsChat Veteran
  • sally and her mum!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 October 06 10:42 BST (UK) »
Glad you raised this as I have been wondering about the same.  I think what Trish says is very prudent and is probably the way to go.  To ask outright 'can I come inside' may seem very forward and the present occupants may act rather defensive and suspicious of your motives.
Sallysmum
Pearson Newcastle/Allendale<br />Sparke Allendale<br />Rees, Davies Pembrokeshire<br />Spence Leyburn<br />Foster Armley to battle creek USA<br />Leeming N Yorkshire<br />Stewart or Stuart Gateshead
Scott Leyburn
Roantree Leyburn

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 October 06 10:50 BST (UK) »
My mom went to her high school reunion a few years ago. She drove by the house she was born in and lived with four generations of her family (and her mother and two aunts lived in most of their lives) and didn't knock on the door. Some of her classmates knocked and were allowed in and my mom regretted that she didn't. So do it. The worst thing is they would say no.

Kath
Sligo: Davey (also Mayo), McCluskey, McNulty
Wexford and Staffordshire: Hayes, McClean
Galway and Staffordshire: Scott
Coventry: Wells, Collins, Palmer, Moody, Beck, Mickelwright, Husbands
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin
Davis from I don't know where originally
Stahl, Russia to England to USA

Online Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 October 06 12:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Lloydy,

Possibly knocking innocently on the door at a time you think maybe convienent, and asking for a pic of the outside, explaining a little of why, may leave an opening for you to be invited inside or a link to maybe? 

From this you will prob gauge if these people would be willing and that you are presenting no problems etc.

It would not be an intrusion or upfront on the outside, they may love to know your stories of the past and the house history.

If you don't do it you may always regret...

Good luck anyway with whatever you decide.

Cas  :)

Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 October 06 12:35 BST (UK) »
Many years ago an elderly man knocked on my door and asked if he could take a photo of my house.  Ever curious I asked his reason; he explained that during WW2 the house had been used by the army and it was the local HQ. At that time it was a very small cottage in a rural area.

I agreed and when he had taken his shots I invited him for a cup of tea and he told me more about his time in the area; he even had a few old photos.  He came for a return visit with more photos and was taken to visit a much grander house about 30 miles away that had also been used by his group.

He stayed for lunch and on leaving left a little plaque he had made showing the various badges of the Army units involved with my little house.  On the back of the plaque he had added some typed info with dates etc.  I was so glad he had visited and I had the chance to learn about the history of my home.

When I moved I left the plaque in the house; I just hope it is still there.

So the new occupants of the house might be as interested as I was to learn about earlier occupants!

Let us know how you get on.

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Su

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Every time an Angel smiles a flower grows
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 October 06 14:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan,
Why not begin with a letter, introducing yourself and the reason why you are interested in the house.
Ask if they would mind you visiting to take some photographs etc.  In this day and age, anybody knocking on your door asking to look round is a bit dodgy, even with a respectable looking lady as yourself  ;D  It would also give the occupier time to think about it, and if agreeable to tidy up (that would take me a whole day)  ;D.

I wrote to the owner of my gran and grandad's cottage when I was doing a family photo album for my Dad's 70th birthday (which incidentally started the whole research business off).  The owner was a very nice lady who wrote back inviting me to go and visit.

If you don't get a reply, then that would save any embarrassment all round.  But I think a nice little letter might do the trick.

Lots of Love
Su xxx
Barnett Altrincham/Manchester
Bates Hindley Lancs
Bowyer Altrincham Cheshire
Cunliffe Hindley
Hollingworth Hale Barnes/Mobberley Ches
Jones Salford/Altrincham
Ramsdale Hindley Lancs
Timperley Warburton/Dunham Massey
Yarwood Great Budworth,Lymm,Dumham Massey

All Census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 14 October 06 18:33 BST (UK) »
I'd go with Trish on this.

Knock on the door, and ask if they would mind if you took a photo of the outside of their house, explaining your family links with it.

They can either say 'Go away yes they do mind', in which case you could still take a picture of the outside as you dont actually need their permission (but go on another occasion and hide behind a tree), but you know any thought of looking inside is out of the question

OR:
They could say "no we dont mind, full stop" In which case you could take the photo of the outside, and maybe follow it up with a friendly letter enclosong a copy of the photo for their interest and giving them a bit more info on the house's history, leaving it open for them to get back to you 'if they'd like to know more...' thus hopefully stirring up an interst

OR:
They may be really interested, let you take your piccy of the outside, and invite you in either there and then or at a later date if they are busy, so you can see more!

Let any mention of you going inside come from them, though.

All the best
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline teap78

• RootsChat Veteran
  • my mum Gemma Doyle 1950s
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 October 06 16:40 BST (UK) »
Well Lloydy Did you go and ask?

I took a deep breath today and knocked on the door of a house that a couple of generations of my mums side of the family lived at and were born in  ::)  I must say i think i went about it the wrong way this wee old woman answers the door and me and my big mouth says hi would you mind if i took a photo of the outside of your house  :-[ and of she goes nooooooooooo noooooooooo nooooooo, So I put the camera away took out the birth certs and gran and grandas marriage cert and explained what i was doing she then said ohhhhhh ok love go ahead i wish you had of waited until i got my curtains washed  :-X (she was born in 1929) So i got my photos and learned a lesson to explain myself first  :-[
next on the agenda was one street away where gran and granda lived when they married in 1930 and my mum and all her siblings were born there, that house was in the family from 1930 until my uncle Peters death in 1988. I explained to the man who called his wife and they said it was no bother and to work away.  ;D

Colette
Doyle, Mullan, Mulholland, O'Neill, McCann, Lowry, Mullen, Forsythe, Magilton, Farnan.  Banbridge Co Down , Belfast Co Antrim and Dungannon Co Tyrone .