Author Topic: 1841 Census woes - prbly Welshpool  (Read 1617 times)

Offline Stephen George-Powell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
1841 Census woes - prbly Welshpool
« on: Saturday 14 October 06 15:41 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have (ancestry) access to the 1841 census, but I'm still having great trouble finding any/all of this family group in 1841;
William Dax, born c1808, Welshpool, prbly Grocer or similar.
Mary Dax, born c1808, Berriew, Montgomeryshire
Mary Ann(e) Dax, born c1837, Welshpool
Edward (Salter?) Dax born c1840, Berriew, Montgomeryshire
Possibly there is also a William Dax b c1833, Welshpool - in fact it's mainly because of him that I want to find the record to see if he is the same family (he was living in exactly the same area of Liverpool in 1881 that William and Mary and another son Henry Dax had been living in 10 years earlier). I have found 'a' Wm Dax of the right age and place, but different family group, so could be just a coincidence.

Berriew being only about 4 miles from Welshpool. The next child was born in Chester in 1843, so they might not even be in Welshpool, but I can't see them anywhere at all ! There is 'a' Mary Ann Dax in 1841, but she's not the correct one as in 1871 she was still living with her mother, whereas 'mine' was married and living in Pocklington, Yorkshire.

Mary Anne is my grandfather's grandmother and whilst I'm 100% sure this is the correct family it would be nice to 'see' her on same census record as parents, mainly to see if any other siblings than the 3 I know about.

Any help or guidance greatly appreciated !

HEREFORDS; Powell & Williams in Longtown/Clodock
YORKS; Grants (Pocklington). Moorby & Wilkinson (Settle/Gigg), Dinsdale (Hawes/Aysgarth).
NORTHANTS/WARWICKS; Wright, Pirkins & Rands
DERBYS; Bateman & Kew
BRISTOL, SOMERSET; Senior
JAMAICA; Senior & Cunningham
LONDON/HOME COUNT;Griffiths, Powis, Bateman
LINCS; Blanchard, Crawshaw, Caborn, Jackson & Walker
EIRE; Martin (Dublin) &Cunningham (Donegal)
MONTGOMERYSHIRE; Dax (Welshpool)
BEDS; Burwell & Wingate
VIRGINIA; Burwell&Higginson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Census woes - prbly Welshpool
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 October 06 16:22 BST (UK) »
...and I guess this should be in Lookup Requests. Sorry.
YORKS; Grants (Pocklington). Moorby & Wilkinson (Settle/Gigg), Dinsdale (Hawes/Aysgarth).
DERBYS; Bateman & Kew
BEDS; Burwell & Wingate

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 October 06 14:10 BST (UK) »
Living in Aberhafesp Berriew in an address called the Malthouse are;
William Dax aged 30 Malster
Mary Dax aged 30
E.S.Dax aged 1
All are stated to be born in County.Remember the ages of the Parents are rounded up or down to the nearest five years.

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 October 06 14:53 BST (UK) »
Oh yes, indexed as Goodwin on ancestry - they obviously thought the Dax was a 'Do' from the Goodwins in the house above which, annoyingly, I've found lots of times with them.

But, yet again, Mary Anne is not with the rest of the family. She is NEVER with them and yet on her marriage certificate it says father William Dax, Grocer and the witnesses include Margaretta and Henry Dax - who are later children of the family unit you have found in '41. I suppose, outside chance, it's a different William Dax who is her father, and the witnesses are her cousins, rather than siblings, but that would mean two Dax siblings both called William, which would be very odd.

The family next door is also interesting - headed by Mary Withers, the surname Withers keeps cropping up in connection with the Dax's, Mary Anne is staying with a Withers in '51, and I have it down as a possible maiden name for the Mary Dax shown (but that's a pure guess) and they have a M.A. Dax ........ hang on,  IT'S HER !!! M.A.Dax MUST surely be my Mary Ann, the age written could be anything, my Mary Anne would be ~4, this age could be 8 or 6, but it could also be 5. And another of the Goodwins in the same house is a shopkeeper, which ties nicely with Grocer later on. I think the two households are connected !! Also the surname 'Breeze' keeps cropping up as well.

Thank you, thank you, thank you - I think you've not only found her parents, but you've also found HER without realising it !!!!

DERBYS; Bateman & Kew
BEDS; Burwell & Wingate