Author Topic: York Castle Prison - 1851 Census  (Read 3327 times)

Offline sally75

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
York Castle Prison - 1851 Census
« on: Monday 16 October 06 06:57 BST (UK) »
Hi There

I've found one of my ancestors locked up in York Castle, for debt, and was wondering if anyone knew where I'd be able to find any records about it.  I can't find his wife and children in the census, so don't know where they'd be.  The family was from Leeds, so isn't it a bit of a long way to be sent from Leeds to prison in York?

I hope someone can shed some light.

Sally.

Offline woodydog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: York Castle Prison - 1851 Census
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 October 06 08:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Sally , could you give us any of your ancestors details- we might be able to do some digging if we Know more....

All the best
Woodydog
Pratt- Catterick/Richmond N.Yorks & Wilsden/Halifax West Yorks
Maylor- Preston/ Poulton Le Fylde
Whitaker- Halifax
Dixon- London & Yorkshire
Booth-Middleton,Oldham,Royton,Lancs
Boyling-Oldham,Royton & Shropshire
Harris- Bradford, Prestwich Manchester
SMITH!! Kirkcaldy, Manchester
Sturgess-  Preston Candover, Hampshire & London
Nixon- London
Walters- London & Hampshire
Settle - Halifax & Brighouse
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sally75

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 October 06 10:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Woodydog

My ancestor in the prison was called George Day, born circa 1807 in Thimbleby, Lincolnshire.  He was a greengrocer.  The 1851 census says he was a debtor.  It must be him, as there is no one else in the 1851 census with the same name as him, close in age or place of birth.  I can't find his wife or children, expect one child who is living with an uncle and aunt in Leeds.  In the 1841 and 1861 onwards censuses he's found in Leeds.

Anyway additional information would be great.  Would you know if his family would have been housed near him, whilst in prison?

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sally.

Offline Catswhiskers

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 October 06 13:18 GMT (UK) »
The records for York Castle Prison  are held at York Castle Museum  You have to make an apointment to view.   There was a male and female debtors prison as well as the Felons i.e criminal one.  Some legislation earlier in the century obliged prisons to separate debtors from criminal prisoners, but can't remember when at the moment. Debors got better treatment.  As a trader he could have gone bankrupt if the debts were greater than £50 presumably he did not know this.  He was likely in there at the same time as one of my ancestors.  A good site for finding out about the criminal side of the family is the Black Sheep Index
http://www.lightage.demon.co.uk/
Adams,Bownes, Brown, Law,Linley,Pickering,Sedman,Suckley

Offline sally75

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 November 06 07:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi There

Many thanks for this information.  It's really helpful, and to know that my ancestor (hopefully) wasn't treated as bad as a criminal.

I'm hoping to visit my family (mainly the living ones!) in England next year, so I'll remember to try and get an appointment at the York Castle Musem.

Many thanks.

Sally.