Author Topic: Flanagan - Ireland to Woolwich  (Read 2804 times)

Offline amclenn1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Flanagan - Ireland to Woolwich
« on: Monday 16 October 06 15:24 BST (UK) »
My husband's great-grandparents were from Ireland - David and Eliza Flanagan. I don't know her maiden name. David was born about 1829 and Eliza born about 1841.
The 1881 British census shows them living in Plumstead (Woolwich) England. Their children were born in Plumstead. I have nothing to tell me when they were married and when they arrived in England.

I found an IGI for a David Flanigan (with an "I") - 12 OCT 1828   Armagh - but have no idea if this might be my David Flanagan.
I have both David and Eliza's death records but their place of birth is not mentioned.

Any help from anyone is greatly appreciate.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Flanagan - Ireland to Woolwich
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 February 08 14:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello amclenn,

What denomination were David and Elizabeth? Were they Catholics, members of the Established Church (Anglicans or Church of Ireland) or Presbyterians?

You'll have to rely on Church records as civil registration in Ireland was not introduced until 1864. Non Catholic marriages were registered from 1845 onwards. When registration for BDMS started in 1864 some people didn't bother with the registration for a few years after that date. Keep your fingers crossed that church records still exist. 

Christopher 

Offline amclenn1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 February 08 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello Christopher

I have no clue to what denomination they were. Their daughter Bridget was married in Woolwich at St. John's Church which I assume was Anglican.
It will be a bit difficult to rely on church records for Ireland, or any other type of record since I haven't been able to find anything to point me in the right direction to look for them. As I said before, it's all a huge guess as to where they came from in Ireland - and I am not familiar at all with the counties.
If there is a way to access either church or public records for births, marriages, etc, I'd appreciate knowing.

thank you

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 February 08 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello amclenn,

Irish Ancestors Surname Search www.ireland.com/ancestor/surname which is based on Griffith's Valuation of Ireland shows the distribution of names in the country. Flanagans were in many of the Irish counties but the  greatest number of them at that time were
in Roscommon and Galway.

Christopher