Author Topic: Cove family...of Bermondsey.to Canada  (Read 2305 times)

Offline deafkat

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • G'Day From Australia
    • View Profile
Cove family...of Bermondsey.to Canada
« on: Tuesday 17 October 06 15:05 BST (UK) »
Hi I would like some help on this ..

Federal Census of 1871 (Ontario Index)
COVE , ALFRED

Microfilm reel: C-10,004 
Reference: RG31 — Statistics Canada

this is the person I would like to find is how many people was living in this house... he was living in Canada for a short time till he almost shot through from his wife my great grandmother  Ann Lucy ...21years old

The story of what I know of .....

Ann Lucy Dobson married to Alfred Henry Cove in 1868 and I know they had seven children but I found out she when she went to Canada in 1870 she had already had few children before her marriage but I havent really confirmed it but on finding the passenger list to Canada in 1870 she was 20 and had 2 children possibly went there but it show may not with Albert and Annie Cove.. so they were born in as I found in 1863 for Albert and Annie 1867? I think also for Bessie Cove 1870? I know that while in Canada they lived there for one year possibly as I found out on records

and Alfred Henry shot thru leaving the family in Canada in 1871-2-3 and Ann Lucy and the kids also she had a babe in arms who? and caught up with him.

Ann Lucy realize short time later her husband shot thru possible some one told her? after all the family arrive back to UK ...early 1872-3? 

.I wish to confirmed the first children names and birth dates correctly details...We were told the older children stayed with families (Cove) but looking up its hard to be sure about it as I know that there was Albert and with Annie .....Inmate in Middlesex? and others not sure but there is Bessie in same in 1881 census at Inmate in Middlesex ?... right family?

and I know that one of the boy (s) came to Australia later in early 1900 due to TB he went on to go to Queensland and later died there. I don't know if he marry in Queensland or not...

( she remarried later in Australia to my great grand father  Robert William Bartlett late of Dorset.had 8 children later from 1879 to 1892..

They ( Alfred and Ann) supposedly had lots of children in that marriage as we were told 7 children.. but  wants to confirm it...

All I know of is  Alfred Henry jr...b. 1872-3
Emily Rosina Cove  b. UK 1875
Catherine Harriet Cove. b. Aust. 1877

if there was  Albert Cove ?
Annie Cove?
Bessie Cove? 
one more? died or twin of one of them?  may never know...  in this record above in Ontario Canada.

Lake Erie Beaver Line - sailing ship, 938 tons. Captain Robert Sclater. From London, England 1870-03-30 to Quebec, Que. 1870-04-29 (all passengers English unless otherwise noted)

Passengers' Contract Ticket for Thomas Peacock (click on the small image to view
20 Alfred Cove 25 . . . . . . . Labourer
- Ann Cove . 20 . . . . . . (Albert & Ann Cove may not be onboard) kids

see that their children ?    I would like to see if they did or not and how many children after   they had one son born in 1872 but no records online or uk bmd records of his birth may be you can find if it in Canada but was there also a Bessie as well ?

this marriage was a very strange one ... and she and Alfred came to Australia in 1876  and the marriage discontinue after arriving and the birth of the last daughter. he after admitted to asylum in Adelaide due to brain disease...

# 2
and can you find in your record of George Foxton   ( Foxten or Foxon)   b. in about 1831  USA  but my father says Canada he came from

This George father on his marriage record in Australia shown William Foxton.

Death record shown  from USA

he was suppose to be the youngest son but I don't know and his family were cotton (growers?) Millers....
He left the family due to no share in his father business as he had older brothers..
there was suppose have lots of children in William Foxton family

this is
australian Foxton  George and Maryanne Foxton

I don't know who George Foxton above - his mother but one of his daughters name is

Maria Foxton
 Eliza Amberson Foxton
Sarah Ann  Foxton
Mary Ann Josephine Foxton
Henry Foxton
George Foxton x 2 (twice)

I notice Amberson in Pennsylvania  USA but not sure may be you can find it better than I can as it in your area sort of as may be in the library in your hometown... 

can you find  the details for me I hope you help me to find out this information and don't mind doing it for me please
 thanks from Kathleen Stanbury in OZ,

???
Bartlett, Hescroff, Stanbury, Eiffe, Healey, O'Dea, Fewings, McKinty/McKenty, Spencer, Fogarty, Foxton, for a cousin (Faggotter), Hardy, Seymour, Johnson, Johnston, Cove, Dodd, Dobson, Balson, Flynn.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cove family...of Bermondsey.to Canada
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 October 06 19:29 BST (UK) »
shot through? :D  You use that expression often, but we have NO idea what it means...Well, I don't anyway.... ;D

There is a passenger record for Alfred, here...born 1845 as on the 1871..passenger record for 1870 
http://www.ingeneas.com/free/index.html ( put in information, then hit image panel on next page for results but we can't access that information, you'd have to send for it....Can't see a record for Ann anywhere

Perhaps some kind soul can look into the 1871 for you, though...If not you'll have to send for the household information as explained on the site where you found the information....
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 October 06 19:48 BST (UK) »
If you look on the 1881 census, Canada there is a William Foxton who is a merchant ....born 1816 in Ontario of Irish descent... Ontario researchers may know where ( if any)  there were cotton mills in Ontario
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp

( P.S. none of the 1871 Foxtons in Ontario are textile workers, but perhaps the term labourers covered that employ,?)
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline deafkat

• RootsChat Extra
  • G'Day From Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 October 06 23:24 BST (UK) »
Hi JJ... I know you dont want to know but I tell you shot through is what I meant is Alfred left his wife with family  at  home while he trying to run back to UK ...  I found the passenger list in the ship list   by google  with his and hers name but not clear of the kids though....  I was hoping someone kind  enough could go to the archives and find it for me as I am in Australia... oh dear..
smiles. 

cheers  Kathleen.

And about George Foxton... well he was born in 1831   and his father ? so all I know was George wasnt given the share of the cotton farm millling?  Dad told me that he was the younger son and he had few older brothers so I dont know much ...that why he left home ..went to sea and landed in Australia.... cheers..

Kathleen.
Bartlett, Hescroff, Stanbury, Eiffe, Healey, O'Dea, Fewings, McKinty/McKenty, Spencer, Fogarty, Foxton, for a cousin (Faggotter), Hardy, Seymour, Johnson, Johnston, Cove, Dodd, Dobson, Balson, Flynn.

Offline DeniseA

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 October 06 16:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Kathleen,
I have added your Alfred Cove, 1871 Census request, to my list of "things to check" for when I go to the Archives (next week, unless someone else can get it before) was supposed to go last week when hubby was off work but you know men, they like to be pampered  ;)
We just bought a new car so now I have my own wheels, won't be so long between visits now ;D
Denise
Canada/US - Aylestock, Cromwell, Lawson, Moore, Stonehouse
Kent - Cooper, Stock, Terry
Derby - Matthews, Rudkin, Sparham
Source: Library and Archives Canada's website www.collectionscanada.ca
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 October 06 21:44 BST (UK) »
You have wheels, Denise? How do you hold them on?

Offline deafkat

• RootsChat Extra
  • G'Day From Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 October 06 23:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Denise Thanks for your help and  look into that about Alfred Henry Cove and also check to see how many kids in the house hold in census 1871 as it have it in Ontario archives and is there possible you also look up with George Foxton as will as dad would like to know more of him too... he is my father's mother 's grandfather 

I know what is  like with men likes to be pampered too as I have 2 men one is my dad who is blind and 88years  and I am a carer for him to look after him in my home and my hubby when he is sick ... last year I had 2 men crying for me when both was sick at the same time and I was trying to comfort both at the same time trying to not get them jealous of each other..now its over .. not as bad ... eh... smiles.  cheers thanks for you time when you have time  Kathleen...x :-* ;D

Offline deafkat

• RootsChat Extra
  • G'Day From Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 October 06 23:24 BST (UK) »
Haa JJ  thats funny about the wheels... we all need wheels to go out somewhere quicker... smiles... haaa cheers. Kathleen.

Offline DeniseA

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 20 October 06 16:07 BST (UK) »
LOL, J.J. Cute smiley

Denise
Canada/US - Aylestock, Cromwell, Lawson, Moore, Stonehouse
Kent - Cooper, Stock, Terry
Derby - Matthews, Rudkin, Sparham
Source: Library and Archives Canada's website www.collectionscanada.ca
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk